Methi or Fenugreek leaves carry a distinct bitter pungent taste. They are highly nutritious and balancing for Vata Dosha. This recipe is ideal for breakfast or as a side dish for lunch.
Aloo Methi is a popular North Indian preparation for winters. It is made with fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves. You can replace fresh fenugreek leaves with dried leaves as directed in the recipe or replace them with fresh Moringa (drumstick) leaves.
Aloo Methi | Potato and Fenugreek Leaves cooked in Indian style stir-fry
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 750 g Potato
- 1 Medium Bunch of Fresh Fenugreek Leaves This recipe can be made with dried fenugreek leaves as well. You can replace fresh leaves with about 2-3 tbsp of dried leaves.
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped (optional)
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic optional
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root
- 1 Green Chili optional
- 1½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1½ tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt to taste
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Dried Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 pinch Asafetida or Hing
- Wash and boil the potato in a pressure cooker or in a pan. You may need 1-2 whistles in pressure cooker and about 20-30 mins of boiling in a pan.
- After it is boiled. Peel it and cut it into small pieces or simply mash it.
Preparing the fenugreek (Methi) leaves
- Wash and Finely chop the fenugreek leaves. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onion and pound/chop the ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
Preparing the stir-fry
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add in asafetida and cumin seeds.
- Let the seeds crackle. Now add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, and chili.
- Mix well and let it cook till the mix turns golden brown.
- Now add turmeric powder and dried mango powder, and salt. Mix for few seconds.
- Add in chopped fenugreek leaves, mix well and cover. Let it cook on low heat till the leaves start to wilt down. (about 5-7 mins)
- Now add peeled and cut potato. Mix well and cover. Let it cook for 2-3 mins till the masala coats well onto the potato. Close the heat.
- Serve with Chapati or steamed rice. Enjoy!
Interested to join like-minded people to share and learn about healthy food, Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle? Join Medhya’s Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Community on Facebook.