Banana flower is not only extremely nutritious but has medicinal value when it comes to considering its health benefits. It is packed with tonnes of insoluble fiber, essential minerals, antioxidants, and proteins should you be wondering about cooking this beautiful work of nature.
- It is also an essential home remedy for menstrual pains and unusual bleeding.
- With its high Magnesium and Iron levels, it is a great natural resource for somebody suffering from cramps, Anaemia, and low energy levels.
- It helps to control the blood sugar levels and hence an essential diabetic food.
- A galactagogue, it immensely benefits new mothers by supporting lactation. It also provides them with essential micronutrients in Minerals, Vitamins, and Antioxidants, and also required fiber to fight off constipation.
While it is a little cumbersome to clean and prepare it, I am sure its health benefits and of course it’s super delicious crunchy and nutty taste would only motivate you to try your hands on this delicacy!
Banana Flower Peanut Butter Curry Recipe
Creamy Banana Flower Peanut Curry
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 1 Medium Banana Flower or Banana Blossom
- 2 Small Eggplants
- 1 Bunch Long Beans
- 3 Small Bok Choy
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter Freshly Prepared or ready made
- 2 tsp Salt To taste
- 1 Cup Water Use more if you would like to have a runny curry
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder Or Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
Making Peanut Butter
- Prepare peanut butter by roasting 12-15 peanuts on medium heat.
- Let the peanuts cool down and keep aside.
- Take a grinder and add the peanuts.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt to the grinder.
- Grind the mix fine to result into a paste of peanut butter.
Cleaning Banana Flower
- Wash Banana Flower. Remove the outermost and hardest leaves.
- Remove the hard purple leaves till you get to softer and light coloured core.
- Finely chop the soft core.
- Soak the chopped banana flower in salt water for 30-40 mins. This helps to reduce the bitterness and also prevents discolouration of banana flower due to oxidisation.
Preparing the curry
- Pressure cook or boil the flower so that it turns soft.
- While the banana flower is cooking, cut the vegetables in medium/small size.
- Heat the wok and add oil.
- Add pressure cooked banana flower.
- Add salt and turmeric and let it cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, peanut butter, and water.
- Steam till vegetables are cooked.
- Season with black pepper.
- Serve with rice or bread. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!