Beetroot Capsicum and Chives appam or mini pancakes is a delicious and quick breakfast recipe. It is balancing for all Dosha. And with the choice of veggies, it is highly recommended for those looking to support health of their liver and hormones.
You can plug and play with other veggies such as green beans, carrots, or cauliflower too. We have added Indian spices to increase the digestibility and flavour of the pancakes.
You can also add some seeds and herbs per your choice and availability of the ingredients.
This recipe is suitable for kids and adults. Pack it for picnic, have it for breakfast, for picnics, or as an afternoon snack.
Beetroot Capsicum Mini Pancakes (Appam) | Healthy Breakfast
- Appam Maker Or Muffin Tray with Oven or a pancake pan
- Food Processor or Chopper (optional)
- 1 Medium Beetroot
- 1 Medium Capsicum
- 1 Small Chives bunch replace it with green onion or onion
- 1 Sprig Fresh curry leaves optional
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder optional
- 2 tbsp Roasted and ground flax seeds powder
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root
- 1½ cup Semolina (Sooji) It can be replaced by millet flours or oats flour or barley flour or a mix of flours and semolina.
- 2 tbsp Curd optional. Replace curd with 1½ tbsp Rice Vinegar.
- 2 tbsp Ghee Or any pure cooking oil such as olive oil, sesame oil, or coconut oil
- 1½ tsp Black Pepper optional
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- Wash and grate the beetroot and capsicum in the food processor. Keep aside.
- Grate or pound the ginger or add it to food processor along with the veggies.
- Finely chop the chives/onion and keep aside.
- Mix all the ingredients well including grated and chopped veggies in a big bowl.
- Add water if necessary to make a consistent mix for the pancakes.
- Let the mix sit for 15-20 mins. This allows semolina to soak the water and curd. This step also lets the appams to become soft and fluffy when cooked.
- Heat the appam pan and add 1 drop of oil in each of the cavities. You can also make it as a pancake (mini) or bake it in the oven.
- Add the appam batter into all the cavities. Bring the heat to medium or high.
- Cover the appam maker and cook for 5 mins.
- Turn the side of the appam.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for another 2 mins.
- Remove the appam from the pan.
- Serve it with mint coriander chutney or pack as you like it. Enjoy!
Interested to join like-minded people to share and learn about healthy food, Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle? Join Medhya’s Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Community on Facebook.