This is a delicious protein packed recipe that shall keep you satiated and energized for hours! It packs in the health quotient of black beans, Malabar spinach, and red capsicum.
This recipe can be made fast. The only things that you need to do to ensure a quick cook time is planning ahead and soaking the black beans for at least 5-6 hours before you actually cook them. And that’s what this recipe is for! Let’s get started.
This recipe is great for all age groups and for every stage of life. My kids loved it! It was indeed super gratifying to see them savour every bit of it.
You can have this recipe for breakfast or dinner, or pack it for your picnic or travel. This is a dense yet small sized meal option. It carries all essential nutrients, making it a complete meal option in itself.
Black beans and Spinach Mini-pancakes – Savoury Muffins
- Appam Maker
- Or Muffin Baking Tray
- Or Pan to make mini-pancake
- Or Pan to fry the batter into Falafels
- 1 Medium Red Capsicum
- 1½ cup Dried Black Beans
- 1 Medium Bunch of Malabar Spinach Take any spinach or greens of your choice.
- 2 tsp Rock salt To taste
- 2 tsp Roasted cumin seeds powder optional
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Pure Coconut Oil Use any pure cooking oil – ghee, sesame, mustard, olive per your choice
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds Black or White
- 1 Green Chili Finely chopped – optional. Replace it with black pepper powder to be sprinkled on the top.
- 1½ inch Fresh ginger root
- 1½ tsp Dried Mango Powder or Pomegranate Seeds Powder Replace it with 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 cup Quick cooking oats or whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp Baking soda for softer texture
Soaking the black beans
- Wash and soak the black beans for about 6 hours.
Preparing the Vegetables
- Wash all the veggies including garlic and ginger.
- Finely chop malabar spinach and red capsicum OR simply put them in the food processor. Keep aside.
- Pound the ginger and garlic together OR add them in food processor along with other veggies. Keep aside.
Preparing the Black Beans
- Discard the water. Add the soaked black beans into food processor along with 2-3 tbsp water.
- Grind till you get a paste like consistency. No need to make the paste very smooth. In fact, slightly coarse paste will add to the texture.
Preparing the batter
- Mix all the ground veggies with the black beans.
- Add in salt, cumin powder, chili, sesame seeds, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Now add in the flour. Mix well.
- Now slowly add water (only if needed) till you get a thick paste like consistency.
- Cover and Keep aside for 10 mins.
Making the Appam
- Heat the Appam maker or pan.
- Grease the pan and slowly start adding the batter.
- Now cover the pan and let the appams cook. After few minutes, flip/turn the appams.
- Cover again so as to let the other side cook as well.
- Close the heat and remove the appam/pancake from the pan.
- Serve with coriander mint chutney or have it just like that. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!