Carrot cake recipe is an extremely healthy, delicious, and an ever green preparation that is ready to go for nearly any occassion you wish. Choose the extent and flavour of dressing to make it relevant for your special day and it always rejoice you with its aroma, texture, and taste!
Carrots are as versatile for sweet bakes as is cauliflower for your savoury ones. You can mix them with multiple other ingredients to result in your awesome dessert of the day!! Carrot cake recipe is not only super easy to turn around but it also uses easily available ingredients that help you enjoy the yummy fruit of your efforts.
I chose carrots and orange zest cake for my little girl’s playdate with her friends. The idea was to get the kiddoos get their hands on baking as they love playing with kitchen toys. Believe me they thoroughly enjoyed every step and of course the cake when it was ready. As with all of our preparations, carrot cake recipe is super simple, super nutritious, and super quick!
Tips to keep processed ingredients at the bay
To keep processed ingredients away from my preparations, I make few modifications to my recipes and replace them with wholesome alternatives. This helps for a guilt free pleasure along with rich aroma and flavours of the raw options.
For example, in my cakes, I replace all-purpose-flour with a combination of semolina, almond flour, oats, or buckwheat flour. This time I chose semolina. Also, I replace sugar with jaggery, which is much more flavoursome and nutritious.
So, here we go and learn about the health benefits of our ingredients first!
Health Benefits of Carrots – Carrot Cake Recipe
- Carrots are rich source of fibre, beta-carotene, and anti-oxidants imparting them healing properties towards multiple chronic diseases such as pulmonary conditions and hypertension.
- They are great to boost digestion and immunity as well.
- Additionally carrots are rich source of multiple vitamins and such as Vitamins A, Vitamin E, Vitamin B8, and folate.
- Carrots are good source of minerals such as Manganese, Potassium, Iron, and Copper.
And one interesting fact about carrots is on their colour itself. Carrots were never originally cultivated in the orange colour as they are available today. Carrots belong to the Umbelliferae family and very closely related to parsley, celery, fennel, and parsnips.
They were in fact only available in white, purple, and red colours during 15th -16th century and were slowly transitioned to their present appearance. And even before that, carrots used to look much thinner like other roots.
Health Benefits of Orange Zest
- Orange peel or zest is a rich source of flavonones, antioxidants, pectin, and enzymes making it an excellent cleansing and purifying agent.
- Orange peel is loaded with natural anti-histamines, making it a must natural anti-allergic for those prone to nasal allergies.
- Not only orange peel imparts rich aroma but great flavour to please your pallet too!
While taste is definitely granted, I hope the numerous health benefits of the ingredients themselves would prompt you to try this amazing carrot cake recipe.
Carrot cake recipe – List of Ingredients
Serves 6-7 persons
- 3 medium sized carrots – grated
- 1 medium sized Orange for peel – grated (If the Orange is on sweeter side, you can choose to use Orange juice as well in the cake)
- 1.5 cups semolina
- 3/4 cup Jaggery – grated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium sized eggs (For eggless, please replace 2 eggs with 1 cup of Greek yoghurt)
- 1/2 tea-spoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon salt
- 1/2 tea-spoon Baking powder and 1/2 tea-spoon Baking Soda
- Add nuts or seeds per your liking. Chia Seeds, Almonds (flour), and berries (dried) would go well with this recipe.
Carrot cake recipe – Method of preparation
Time of preparation: 15 mins
Time of cooking/baking: 20-25 mins
- Add all the ingredients together and mix well
- Blend the eggs with the butter to result in a consistent mix
- Add the egg and butter mix to the ingredients mix
- Let the mixture settle for another 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Set the ingredients in the cake tin or greased baking tray
- Insert the tray in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes
- Check with fork or tooth pick and remove the tray from the oven if it comes out clean
- Serve and Enjoy!!!
Please leave your feedback and share this recipe with your friends and family should you like it.