Chickpea recipes are common part of Mediterranean cuisine and Indian cuisine. It is a power packed food that provides one with right nutrition and energy. They are super creamy in texture and nearly sweet in taste.
Chickpeas are one of my favourite ingredients for their awesome taste and nutrition factor. This time I blended Chickpeas with Oats and Broccoli for a savoury and quick bake for dinner. It turned out to be excellent for its creamy texture with occasional crunchiness that broccoli brought along with.
What more, this super delicious pie as my daughter named it, is also super nutritious. It is packed with all the essential micro and macro nutrients that one needs from a wholesome meal.
Proteins, Fiber, Minerals, and Vitamins that this unique blend of ingredients brings on the table sure demands a try when you are looking for an option to please your tastebuds and yet follow all the rules of a healthy meal.
As with all of our preparations, it is super simple, super nutritious, and super quick to turn around! So, here we go and learn about the health benefits of our ingredients first!
Chickpea Recipes and Nutrition
Chickpeas are powerhouse of essential nutrients!
- Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo beans are termed as one of world’s healthiest foods! They are not only rich source of proteins but also of essential insoluble fiber content that would help one maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- They are rich source of minerals such as Manganese for bone health, to help heal the wounds, and to regulate metabolism rates of the body.
- Chickpeas provide a feeling of fullness, hence reducing your hunger levels and can help manage eating disorders.
- A cup of cooked chickpeas can provide you as much as 70% of your daily required folate content.
Broccoli and Oats – Versatile super foods!
Broccoli comes under the category of cruciferous vegetables known for their anti-cancerous properties. It is loaded with fibre, antioxidants, phytochemicals, sulphur compounds, and enhances the metabolism of the body. Broccoli carries a unique flavour of itself which in turn depends on how you consume it. This holds true for the preparations with Broccoli, where it could be in raw salad form, stir-fried, baked, or blended in soups.
Similarly, Oats are counted as superfood for their ultra high macro and micro nutrients content and ability to keep multiple disease off the ward. They are super easy to be blended in your sweet and savoury bakes and can easily replace the unhealthy white flour option with just the right touch of complementary ingredients.
Chickpeas Recipes – Broccoli Pie – List of Ingredients
Serves 4-5 persons
- 2 cups cooked and pureed chickpeas (Soak them for 5-6 hours. Boil in a pressure cooker and then blend them using a grinder to get a smooth paste)
- 2 cup oats
- 1 Medium sized broccoli – finely grated
- 1/2 table spoon dried oregano (replace with fresh oregano or cilantro/coriander leaves)
- 1/2 tea spoon garlic powder and 1/2 tea spoon onion powder. Tip: Replace garlic powder and onion powder with fresh garlic and onion. Sautee them in a little olive oil before adding to the mix.
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated mozzarella cheese to sprinkle over the pie (optional)
- 1 Table spoon olive oil or butter to grease the tray
- A couple of cherry tomatoes and cut onion to sprinkle over the bake
- 2 Medium sized eggs (optional). Tip: Eggs can be replaced with greek yoghurt or thick yoghurt. Put 3 table spoons of yoghurt to replace 1 egg
- Pinch baking soda and baking powder (optional)
Chickpea Recipes – Broccoli Pie – Method of Preparation
Time of preparation: 30-40 mins
Time of cooking: 30-40 mins
- Wash and grate broccoli. Mix with the oats and pureed chickpeas into a big bowl.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes and onions and keep them aside.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, oregano, baking soda, and baking powder to the above mix.
- Blend the eggs with yoghurt and add to the mix.
- Keep the mix aside for 15-20 mins.
- Grease baking tray and set the mix in the tray.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and cut cherry tomatoes and onions on the top.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C
- Insert the tray in the oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes
- Check with fork or tooth pick and remove the tray from the oven if it comes out clean.
And you are all set to go! Enjoy!!
Please leave your feedback and share this recipe with your friends and family should you like it.