Dalma is a highly nutritious preparation of vegetable lentil soup with just the right spices to nurture your body. No wonder it is an integral part of Odia cuisine (Eastern Indian state of Orissa) and is prepared several times a week.
It is kids friendly for its smooth texture and high nutritional value. With the selected vegetables and spices, it boosts the immune system and also provides one with ample fibre and micronutrients that support the digestive system of the body.
List of Vegetables for the Recipe
As nutritious as it is also super easy to prepare and quick to cook. The vegetables chosen for Dalma lentil soup have a combination of a sweet, astringent, and bitter taste profile and they cover nearly all colours of the rainbow.
Here is a list of vegetables that are usually added to Dalma.
Dalma – Lentil Soup Recipe
Dalma is one of the best vegetable lentil soup preparations. It works wonders to regulate blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in the body. Hence, it is great for Diabetics and PreDiabetics – people on the verge of Diabetes. It is also a great meal option for people facing cardiovascular health issues.
Toor Daal Dalma – Pigeon peas soup with vegetables
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Toor Daal / Pigeon Peas
- 2 Small Eggplants
- ½ Medium Raw Banana
- 1 piece Raw Papaya size of a medium potato
- 1 piece Pumpkin size of a medium potato
- 5-6 Long Beans
- 2-3 twigs Fresh coriander leaves to garnish, they form an essential part of Dalma's flavour
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- Wash and soak the daal for 15 mins.
- Add the daal in a pressure cooker along with all the vegetables – except tomato, garlic, and onions.
- Add salt and turmeric.
- Close the pressure cooker and let the mixture cook for 10 minutes or for 3 whistles to make a soft and smooth lentil soup.
- Heat a pan. Add Mustard Oil. Once the oil is a little hot, add the Asafetida and mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds splutter and then add onions and garlic till they turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato and let it cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the lentil soup, mix well, add roasted cumin powder and let the mix cook for another 5 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chapati, parantha, or rice.
- Enjoy with your meal!
We would love to hear from you! If you try these recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram or Facebook. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!