This fried rice recipe with purple cabbage and beetroot is delicious and highly nutritious. This recipe can also be modified to make purple cabbage noodles, quinoa, or daliya (broken wheat) by simply replacing rice with desired grains.
It is vegan and kids friendly. This recipe can be made with left over steamed rice. It is ideal to cook a delicious and healthy meal in a jiffy!
We have added peanuts, curry leaves, and some aromatic Indian spices to enhance flavour and nutritional value of the fried rice.
Pick your source of protein! You can replace peanuts with tofu or cottage cheese (paneer) if you like.
Purple Cabbage Stir-fried Rice
- 2 cups Purple Cabbage finely chopped
- 1 Green Chili optional
- 2 tbsp raw peanuts
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 inch Ginger finely grated
- Pinch Asafetida
- 12 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 cups Cooked Rice
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil Olive Oil, Peanut Oil, Ghee, or Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Rock Salt To taste
- Finely chop purple cabbage and keep aside.
- Finely chop onion, green chili, and garlic. Grate or pound the ginger.
- Heat the pan and put oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds and asafetida when the oil is little hot.
- Let the seeds crackle. Add curry leaves, raw peanuts, and green chili and stir well.
- Now add onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Once the mix turns golden brown, add purple cabbage, Turmeric powder, and Salt.
- Mix well and cover. Lower down the heat to medium and let the cabbage cook.
- After about 5-7 mins, purple cabbage will start to turn soft and nearly 70% cooked.
- Add rice. Mix well. Cover and lower down the heat.
- Let the mix be on heat for another 1 min, then close the heat and let it still be covered.
- Serve when ready! Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!