Giloy has multiple positive effects on the human body! It is termed as “Amrit” in Ayurveda or the ultimate rejuvenating nectar. Almost all parts of the plant are used for several medicinal purposes with the stem being the most common and widely utilized in most medicinal systems.
Its scientific name is Tinospora Cordifolio and the common names are Giloy or Guduchi.
Nutrition and Consumption of Giloy
Giloy harmonizes the three Doshas making it such a potent herb for rejuvenation, treating ailments, and boosting immunity. While the fresh herb is more effective than the dried form, the dried form is easy to consume and lasts longer.
Tinospora Cordifolia stem is rich in alkaloids, diterpenoids lactones, glycosides, steroids, sesquiterpenoids, phenolics, aliphatic compounds, and polysaccharides. Leaves of Giloy are rich in protein and fairly high in calcium and phosphorous.
Health Benefits of Giloy
Detoxification and Cleansing Action
A great detoxification agent, it cleanses the microcirculatory system that includes the lymphatic system and blood circulatory system. It has the unique ability to remove toxins from both exogenous and endogenous sources. It protects the body and helps in its proper functioning under stress.
Boosts Immune System and Removes Inflammation
- Giloy boosts the white blood cell count and maturation of bone marrow stem cells leading to an increased immune response that corresponds with the activation of macrophage (protective cells).
- The anti-inflammatory action makes it beneficial for treating inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and gout. Juice from the stem significantly balances the high uric acid levels in the body.
It purifies the blood, leads to healthy and glowing skin and complexion. Due to its cleansing action, Giloy helps in various skin related issues such as eczema, psoriasis, lupus, and skin inflammation.
Adaptogenic and Cognition Booster
- As an adaptogenic herb, it reduces mental stress and anxiety.
- It enhances cognitive ability, promotes memory and longevity by reducing oxidative damage to cells and endogenous cleansing of brain toxins.
Prevents Diabetes, Fever, and Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Known for its hypoglycemic actions, Giloy reduces blood sugar and lipid levels considerably. This makes it very useful for the treatment of Type 2 Diabetes.
- It relieves from the gastrointestinal and urinary disorders (diuretic in nature) such as digestion issues, piles, and pain in the bladder.
- It is antipyretic in nature, it is known to be highly effective in reducing chronic and high fevers.
Promotes Fertility and Acts as Aphrodisiac
- Mixed with other herbs, it is also used as an aphrodisiac and to increase sexual potency. It cleanses sperm and is known to provide virility to sterile men and women.
Anti-Cancer and Anti-Aging properties
- It protects against gamma radiation and has anti-tumor properties leading to a significant reduction in tumors when used regularly.
- Giloy is known to increases appetite, quench thirst, and increase body strength. Giloy promotes life and has anti-aging properties such as the destruction of wrinkles and graying of hair.
Caution with Giloy
Giloy is hot in potency and can have some side effects such as constipation and low blood sugar levels, hence prescribed to be used under the supervision of an expert.
It is also not recommended for pregnant and lactating women due to potential side effects. Ayurvedic experts should be consulted in case one plans to consume the same.