This is a delicious tangy soup recipe made with yellow beans and gongura leaves. Gongura leaves are tangy and astringent in taste. They carry loads of antioxidants and are a rich source of Vitamin C and Calcium. Here is another Gongura leaves recipe for you to have a look.
This recipe is super easy and a quick turnaround. You can have it any time of the day and it goes well with rice, chapati, pancakes, and bread. It is recommended for children as it masks the sour taste of the gongura leaves.
This recipe has a rich and creamy texture of the beans and delicious flavour of the gongura leaves. Give it a try and you will likely add it to your weekly menu! This recipe is recommended for Diabetics, heart patients, during pregnancy, weight loss enthusiasts, and for kids.
Gongura Pappu – Sorrel Leaves and Beans Soup
- Pressure Cooker
- 1½ cups Yellow pigeon peas (toor daal) or mung beans
- 1 bunch Fresh Gongura leaves about 200 g
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee Or any pure cooking oil
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 1½ tsp Roasted Cumin seeds powder optional
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1½ tsp Salt To taste
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
Preparing the Beans and Leaves
- Wash and soak the beans for about 30 mins.
- Wash the gongura leaves. Separate leaves from the sturdy stems and discard the stems.
- Coarsely chop the gongura leaves. They wilt off and becomes super soft, so coarse cut is fine. Keep aside.
- Fine chop onion and garlic. Keep aside.
Preparing the soup
- Heat the pressure cooker and add ghee. When ghee is hot, ad din asafetida and mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds crackle. Now add in chopped onion and garlic. Mix well and let it turn golden brown.
- Add in turmeric powder, salt, and coriander seeds powder. Stir for another few seconds.
- Now add chopped gongura leaves, beans, and 3 cups water.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring heat to medium.
- Let the mix cook for 5-7 minutes or till you get 2 whistles. Close the heat.
- Sprinkle cumin seeds powder and black pepper.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!