Healthy skin and lustrous hair are definitely the signs of a great beauty regime, but an equally great diet shouldn’t be undermined. The secrets to beautiful skin and hair are a nutritious diet and a holistic lifestyle!!
Someone has very aptly said that “True beauty comes from within”.
Foods for Healthy Skin and Hair
Skin and hair are made up of protein. Keratin, collagen, and elastin prevent wrinkles and provide strength and elasticity. Proteins come from meat, chicken, fish, legumes, eggs and dairy foods.
The omega-3 and omega-6 fats present in seafood, produce prostaglandins. It suppresses inflammation and improves the itchiness of the skin. Omega-3 fats even hydrate the hair and keep them nourished.
Lack of iron not only makes the skin itchy but also makes the hair brittle. Start with iron-rich foods and on techniques to enhance the absorption of iron into the body to improve the luster of the hair and skin.
Whole grains contain essential fats, B Vitamins, vitamin E, and plenty of fibre. Whole grains have all three parts of the grain – the bran, endosperm, and germ. All the parts comprise of the essential nutrients. Lack of whole grains can make the skin itchy and dry.
Nuts are packed with essential fats, vitamin E and B helpful for the skin and hair.
Vitamin C is essential to make collagen, the structural cement of the body. The harmful pollutants oxidize the collagen. Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and beta-carotene are the essential nutrients that slow down damage to the skin and hair.
Eating plenty of Vitamin C rich fruits such as lemons and oranges and Vitamin C rich herbs such as Amla (richest source of vitamin C in the plant world), curry leaves, and moringa would impart the essential nutrients to the body.
Sunlight – Vitamin D
Sunlight provides the required amount of Vitamin D to the body. It helps in building up the collagen in the skin and hair.
Fluids help protect skin and hair against UV damage and can improve hydration and condition. Drink plenty of water. The fluids aid blood circulation and the delivery of nutrients.
Flavonoids provide essential anti-oxidants to fight off the effect of oxidative damage and hence aging process. Add a generous dose of herbs such as Amalaki, Curry Leaves, Moringa and foods such as Cocoa, Banana (flower and green banana), berries, tomatoes to your diet.
Lifestyle tips for healthy skin and hair
Foods along with a holistic healthy lifestyle can do magic to your looks and can naturally fight off the ravages of age. Here are some quick tips should you be looking to work on your outlook.
- Do not smoke: Smoking can speed up the ageing process as well as multiplies the oxidative damage to your body and brain. Additionally, smoking can also lead to pigmentation of skin and hair fall issues. Needless to say, smoking damages the lungs, which are one of the primary cleansing organs of the body, hence nullifying the natural detox process of the body.
- Fight stress: Relax, Destress, Meditate, and spend quality time on people you love and pursue your passions. Here is a scientific study that indicates how practicing mindfulness and meditation could help Psoriasis patients to relieve the symptoms.
- Sleep Routine: Daily sleep routine of 8-9 hours and a quick afternoon nap can do wonders to your mind and body. Sound sleep helps in the production/absorption of nutrients in the body that will keep the skin and hair in good shape.
- Regular Cleansing: Detox and cleanse regularly through diet, fasting, and inclusion of cleansing herbs to get rid of the toxins. Toxin build-up can lead to multiple health issues and severely damage our outlook, not to mention skin & hair. Read more toxin build-up and how to cleanse naturally here.
- Get moving: Exercise regularly to enhance blood circulation to uppermost layers of skin and to hair root tissues. Additionally, sweating is a natural cleansing process of the body through which water-soluble toxins are flushed out of the system, hence get moving to sweat it out and get glowing!!