Tindora is a perennial climber that grows very fast. It is also known as Ivy Gourd, Kundru, Dondakaya, Tendli in various parts of the world. Its scientific name is Coccinia Grandis.
Over the past decade, ivy gourd has also been extensively scientifically researched upon and has been proven to be beneficial against Diabetes Type 2.
Tindora Consumption and Uses
Tindora has been used for centuries for both culinary and medicinal purposes across India, Africa, South East Asia, and in the Middle East.
Tindora is rich in antioxidants and has a positive effect against hyperglycemia and hypertension. Tender fruit of this plant is used as a vegetable. It can be prepared by adding it to curries, by frying it, or by adding it to stews along with other vegetables.
Ivy Gourd is a medicinal vegetable in Ayurveda
It has a bitter and pungent rasa and hence subsequent action on the body. It has a toning effect on the body, hence works as a great meal option to help cleanse and get rid of the accumulated toxins.
It is a rich source of Proteins, Iron, Calcium, Fiber, Vitamin C, and Beta-Carotene (Vitamin A). Ivy gourd also has a high concentration of bioactive compounds that impart its multitude of health benefits:
Regulates Blood Sugar and Prevents Diabetes
- Tindora has high pectin content.
- It stimulates glucose oxidation and suppresses gluconeogenesis (generation of glucose from non-carbohydrates), hence helps to manage blood sugar levels.
- It can lower blood sugar levels in Diabetic patients.
Supports Heart Health and Healthy Liver
- It helps to reduce bad cholesterol levels and has a positive effect to improve the triglyceride levels.
- Tindora promotes HDL – good cholesterol.
- It supports healthy liver for its high flavonoid and bioactive compounds content.
Tindora has antimicrobial properties
- It has antibacterial effect against some pathogenic bacteria.
- The leaves of the plant can also be used as a herbal tea for their rich alkaloid content.
- Has anti-carcinogenic and anti-allergic properties for its rich concentration of antioxidants
- Is anti-pyretic and can fight off high fevers.
Supports Respiratory System
It helps fight off respiratory disorders such as Asthma and Bronchitis due to high concentration of bioflavonoids.