In this series of Foods that heal and nourish, we are starting off with one of our favourite Jackfruit recipes. When combined this recipe with Dosa, a pancake made from fermented batter of rice and lentils, it makes a all-in-one nutrition packed meal.
This recipe consists of all essential micro nutrients and macro nutrients along with ample fiber to keep your digestive tract intact. It is super delicious, simple, home cooked comfort food that would nourish and heal your body.
Learn about the health benefits and method of preparation in here.
Jackfruit Recipes: Health Benefits of Jackfruit
Jackfruit or Kathal is one of the healthiest offering a range of micronutrients, ample fiber, and proteins. Raw fruit can be used as a vegetable and ripe (sweet) version as a fruit. We used raw jackfruit to make this yummy curry.
Jackfruit is a superfood and also the largest fruit on the Earth.
- It contains vitamin A, Vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, iron, sodium, zinc, and niacin among many other nutrients.
- It has a low caloric content: 100 g of jackfruit only contains 94 calories.
- It is a rich source of potassium with 303 mg found in 100 g of jackfruit. Studies show that foods rich in potassium helps to lower blood pressure.
- It contains phytonutrients: lignans, isoflavones, and saponins that impart it anticancer, antihypertensive, antiulcer and antiaging properties.
- It also contains niacin that is known as vitamin B3 and necessary for energy metabolism, nerve function, and the synthesis of certain hormones.
- It is great for expecting mothers and new mothers as it has very rich nutritional profile and carries lot of fiber to help the digestive tract intact. It can be consumed both in raw curry form or as a ripe fruit.
- Jackfruit (ripe) is great for babies as puree can be added to their food, giving them ample nourishment.
- Ripe fruit is also great finger food for toddlers.
Jackfruit Recipes: Health benefits of Dosa
Dosa – A pancake made from fermented grains that is rich source of B Vitamins
Dosa on the other hand is a wonderful combination of proteins, carbohydrates, probiotics, and B Vitamins. Fermentation processes enhances the nutritional profile of rice and daal mix with which Dosa batter is initially made. Here is a post that covers nutritional value of Dosa and fermented foods of India.
An ideal meal portion should consist of nearly 50% veggies with rest 50% as a combination of proteins and carbs, as in the above meal portion.
Dosa has taken a purple colour as a result of mixing black rice with white rice; something I usually follow to consume black rice on daily basis. (Black rice although highly nutritious is a little hard when cooked, hence not easy to consume on regular basis; so to soften it we mix with white rice).
Jackfruit Recipes: Jackfruit Curry
List of Ingredients – Serves 3-4 people
- 400 g raw jackfruit – boiled till softened
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 Green Chilli – finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – chopped for garnishing
- Cumin Seeds, Turmeric, and Coriander Powder – 1 tea spoon each
- Salt to taste
- 1 Table spoon Ghee or Mustard Oil
Method of preparation – 30-45 mins
- Wash, cut in small pieces and boil the raw fruit till it softens (usually 3-4 whistles in pressure cooker suffice, otherwise boil for 15 mins in a pan).
- Heat the oil, let cumin seeds crackle, and then add onions, chilli, and garlic.
- Sautee onions till light brown. Add the spices and keep stirring till everything mixes well and spices are roasted.
- Add the boiled and softened jackfruit and chopped tomato. Mix well.
- Add 3-4 spoons of water and let the mix simmer at very low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh and finely chopped coriander.
You can easily replace Dosa with Chapati or Rice or freshly baked bread; basically a healthy carbohydrate and protein mix that will provide you with required nutrients.
We chose Dosa for its unique nutritional profile that provides with proteins, carbs, and also with probiotics (due to fermentation process).