Kangkong is also known as Water Spinach or Water Morning Glory. It is very popular in Sout-East Asia and commonly taken as a salad or stir-fried side along with the meals.
It is sought after for its succulent, slightly sweet, and mucilaginous stem and leaves. The stem is hollow and smooth, and often cut and stir-fried along with seeds, beans, or tofu, or pork.
Nutrition profile of Water Spinach
Water Spinach is highly nutritious, loaded with minerals, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- It carries nearly zero calories, hence can work wonders when added on a regular basis to your meals.
- As a nutrient dense green, Kangkong carries multiple health benefits for the bones, liver, heart, and skin, and hair.
- Kangkong is rich in Vitamin A, Iron, Calcium, Manganese, B Vitamins, Magnesium, and Potassium.
Water Spinach Stir-fry Recipe
This stir-fry recipe is super simple and an easy turnaround. Few other ingredients such as peanuts, or pork, preserved or fermented soybeans or fried tofu can also be added per your taste, so feel free to experiment along with.
This recipe is great for Diabetics, new mothers, cancer patients, for children, and for heart patients.
Water Spinach – Kangkong Stir-Fry
- 300 g Water Spinach (Kangkong) One Medium-sized bunch
- 2 Garlic Cloves 1 tablespoon peanut oil or
- 1½ tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Rock Salt To taste or 1 tsp Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- Dried Red Chili Optional
- 1 Medium Onion Optional
- 1 tbsp Peanut Oil Or Mustard oil or Sesame oil
- Wash and chop the kangkong stem into 1″ long pieces and coarsely chop the leaves.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the pan. Add oil and let it heat slightly.
- Add the dried chili. Add garlic and onion and keep stirring till they turn slightly brown.
- Add kangkong and salt and keep the heat to medium-low.
- Cook till the stem and leaves wilt off, nearly 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of it and serve with rice. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!