Green banana is a healthier substitute for potatoes. It is a rich source of antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and vitamins. This recipe is made from fresh green banana.
It is a one pot preparation for an excellent side dish that goes well with soups or curries and along with rice or chapati.
Mashed Green Banana – Kela Bharata
- 4 Medium Green Banana
- 7 Cloves Garlic Pounded or Finely Chopped
- 12 pieces Curry Leaves Fresh preferred for the aroma and texture
- 1 Chili optional
- 1 pinch Asafetida (Hing)
- 1 tbsp Split Black Gram (Chana Daal)
- 1 tbsp Black Lentils without skin (Urad Daal)
- 2 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil Or Peanut Oil or Olive Oil or Ghee
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 tsp Salt Rock Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Peel the banana and cut into small cubes ½ inch.
- Put for boil in 1 cup water. Boil till it is soft and mushy.
- Heat a pan on medium.
- Add cooking oil once the oil is little hot.
- Add Asafetida powder.
- Add mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
- Break the chili in 2 pieces by hand and add to the pan. This is more for flavor and little taste. If chili is chopped fine, it will make the vegetable hot.
- After 10 seconds or so, add curry leaves and garlic.
- Stir for few seconds. Add split black gram and split black lentils.
- Stir for another few seconds till garlic turns golden brown and lentils are light brown
- Now add the boiled banana. Mix and mash well till the texture is soft and smooth.
- Close the heat and cover. This will allow the mix to blend well with all the flavours.
- Serve with chapati or rice. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!