Fluctuating Hormones and Irregular Ovulation do lead to unpredictable periods during later phase of perimenopause. Change in menstrual cycle is one of the Menopause signs that majority of the women come across.
However, not all the Menopause signs are NORMAL! Heavy menstrual bleeding, for example may indicate serious health conditions that need immediate attention. In this post, we will share Menopause signs that are NORMAL and when you should see a doctor. We will also look into the factors that determine your Menopause Age.
Menopause can arrive in different ways for different women.
The average Menopause age is 51 years with variation from 45 years to 55 years.
Some of the factors that guide Natural Menopause age are:
- Hereditary — Age of your mother or sisters at Menopause
- Diet and Lifestyle — A stressful lifestyle, Smoking, and poor nutrition may lead to early menopause
Surgical or Induced Menopause
Surgical removal of the ovaries can result in artificial or Induced menopause at any age. Hysterectomy is surgical removal of the uterus. If the ovaries are also removed during a hysterectomy then it leads to induced menopause.
Menopause through external intervention is sudden and a woman’s body is not yet ready to handle the hormonal changes that result from a hysterectomy. One may suffer from serious health complication related to heart and bone function if they do not adopt a suitable diet and lifestyle after a hysterectomy.
First Signs of Menopause — Your Menstrual Cycle changes!
Fluctuating levels of the hormones and irregular production of egg affect the menstrual cycle during perimenopause. In fact, changes in the menstrual cycle are one of the first signs of perimenopause.
Generally, women may observe bleeding consecutively for 7 days or more in the earlier phase of perimenopause. In the later phase of perimenopause, meaning time just before menopause occurs, one may have amenorrhea or absence of bleeding for 60 or more days.
What is your last period like before menopause?
Final stop of menstruation can happen in multiple ways. Changes in menstrual cycle vary from individual to individual. Here are some of the changes that you will observe in your menstrual cycle.
- Sudden Stop: Menstrual cycles may be regular and arrive every month within specified window. And then all of a sudden menstruation stops. Ideally it should happen at or around Menopause age of 51 years.
- Trickle Down: In some cases, menstrual flow decreases with each menstrual cycle until menstruation stops altogether.
- Unpredictable Periods: one may observe infrequent menstrual cycles such that menstruation is absent for two or more months and then suddenly heavy menstrual flow is observed. This usually happens in the last year of perimenopause.
- Menstrual Cycle Becomes Longer: Length of the menstrual cycle may increase beyond 35 days.
When should you consult a Doctor?
1. Very heavy periods. Excessive bleeding is marked by usage of more than 4 –5 pads that are heavy and also the need to change pads frequently in the night. It may lead to Anemia.
2. Too close cycles. If your menstrual cycle length is shorter than 21 days, then it may lead to Anemia.
3. Spotting or Bleeding after Menopause indicates health concerns that need immediate attention. Work with your Doctor to find the cause and take appropriate treatment.
4. Passage of heavily clotted menstrual blood along with heavy bleeding may be due to serious health issues such as uterine or ovarian cancer or Endometriosis.
5. Palpitations, difficulty in breathing, extreme fatigue, and giddiness are some of the signs of Anemia.
6. Extended Menstruation with bleeding for more than 10 days.
Before we close! A note about your Menopause Symptoms
Apart from the Menopause signs, majority of the women experience functional health symptoms before, during, and after Menopause. A number of health problems such as Hot Flashes, Insomnia, Anxiety, and Weight Gain are often associated with Menopause as Menopause Symptoms!
In reality, these health problems are not the signs and neither symptoms of Menopause itself. In fact, these health issues are primarily rooted in the IMBALANCES and NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES in your body systems. Since, your body is undergoing a transitional phase during Perimenopause, the imbalances get aggravated and often present themselves as so called MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS.
For a FREE Menopause Symptoms Health Assessment at Medhya Herbals, follow this link.
Whether you are experiencing severe Menopause symptoms or just mild discomfort, you will be able to understand the underlying causes and hence heal and nourish your body.
When you take Medhya Herbals’ Menopause Symptoms quiz, you’ll receive a complete Ayurvedic analysis of your body tissues, your current health imbalances, and your Aging status.
You will also receive 1 week health recovery plan with meal suggestions, workout and yoga guidelines, and daily routine specifics to well manage your health.
Interested in learning about how to manage your Menopause Symptoms with Ayurvedic diet, lifestyle, and yoga? Join Medhya’s women exclusive community here.