Moringa leaves and pigeon peas curry is an extremely nutritious and delicious meal option for all. This recipe is packed with loads of nutrients including proteins, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. So, you can be sure to cover majority of your micro nutrients with this delicious and easy recipe.
It is super easy and quick to make if you are running short on time. Just make sure that you clean and store your greens (moringa leaves) before hand so that they are ready to use when you want to cook quickly.
Have it for breakfast, dinner, or for lunch (along with some other veggies and grains). You can make this curry using other beans as mung beans or red lentils.
This is a balancing recipe for all Dosha, hence it is Tridoshic and a highly nourishing meal option.
Moringa Leaves and Toor Daal (Pigeon Peas) Curry
- Pressure Cooker
- 1½ cups Yellow pigeon peas (toor daal) can also be replaced with yellow mung beans or red lentils
- 1 bunch Fresh Moringa (Drumstick) leaves about 200 g
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee Or any pure cooking oil
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 1½ tsp Roasted Cumin seeds powder optional
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1½ tsp Salt To taste
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
Preparing the Beans and Leaves
- Wash and soak the beans for about 30 mins.
- Wash the moringa leaves. Separate leaves from the sturdy stems and discard the stems.
- Coarsely chop the leaves if young kids are eating. Otherwise you can add them just like that as they are fairly small. Keep aside.
- Fine chop onion and garlic. Keep aside.
Preparing the curry
- Heat the pressure cooker and add ghee. When ghee is hot, add in asafetida and mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds crackle. Now add in chopped onion and garlic. Mix well and let it turn golden brown.
- Add in turmeric powder, salt, and coriander seeds powder. Stir for another few seconds.
- Now add chopped tomato, mix well for about a minute. This will make tomatoes mushy and soft.
- Now add moringa leaves, beans, and 3 cups water.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring heat to medium.
- Let the mix cook for 5-7 minutes or till you get 2 whistles. Close the heat.
- Sprinkle cumin seeds powder and black pepper.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!