Button mushrooms and green peas curry is commonly known as matar mushroom. It is a popular meal option for winters in Northern India.
Button Mushrooms cook very fast and pair very well with green peas . They have a bland taste and take up the taste of seasonings very well . Mushrooms and green peas are sauteed and cooked in onion tomato based masala which is mildly spiced with Indian spices.
You can make the gravy rich by adding fresh cream if desired. The recipe is easy to follow and the curry is ready under 30 minutes. It serves for a great option as lunch meal.
It is ideal for all Dosha and highly recommended for Pitta and Vata balancing.
I have made a soup with the veggies. You can also make it in dried version by removing water. Dried version goes very well with chapati or as a side dish. And soup is of course easier to eat and digest, specifically for young kids.
Button Mushrooms and Green Peas Soup
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 300 g Fresh Button Mushrooms
- 150 g Green Peas Use frozen or fresh peas. Both are great for this recipe.
- 1 tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 1 Bay leaf optional
- 1-2 cloves optional
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil Ghee Or any pure cooking oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 3 sprigs Fresh coriander leaves or cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root pounded or chopped
Cutting and preparing the vegetables
- Wash the mushrooms and cut them into 4-6 pieces each. Don't make pieces too small as it will lead to too much water.
- Soak the frozen peas in warm water (for about 15-20 mins). If fresh, then wash them and keep aside.
- Finely chop onion, tomatoes and garlic. Pound the ginger.
Cooking the Vegetables
- Heat the pan on medium and add oil.
- Add asafetida, Bayleaf, and cloves.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add in the onion, ginger and garlic mix. Stir till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cover. Let it cook for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
- Add in the dried spices – turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, and cumin seeds powder.
- Now add green peas and 1 cup water.
- Mix well and cover for about 5-10 mins. If you have already soaked green peas in warm water, then cooking time will be less. So check that the green peas are starting to soften but not fully cooked yet.
- Add mushrooms. Mix well, cover, and let the veggies cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Check that green peas are cooked well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy!