Oyster Mushroom Recipe in Indian style! With this post, we are sharing a quick, delicious, and super healthy oyster mushroom recipe. Oyster mushrooms are one of the easily available healthful ingredient that you must include in your weekly menu. It carries vital micronutrients and macronutrients, making it a functional food that heals and nurtures.
Oyster mushrooms are considered a delicacy in Japan and China. It is consumed as a soup, added to vegetables replacing pork or chicken, and stir-fried with soya sauce. In India, a variation of pale oyster mushroom is cooked with Indian spices as a side-dish.
Oyster mushrooms carry a crunchy and fleshy texture that goes very well with the onions and tomatoes in this recipe. It is technically known as pleurotus ostreatus. Oyster is one of the top three commercially grown mushrooms across the world.
Oyster Mushroom Nutrition
Oyster mushrooms carry low calories, high fibre, significant proteins and antioxidants.
- Antioxidants: Oyster Mushrooms carry a wide variety of Antioxidants which protect and heal our body.
- Vitamins: Oyster mushrooms are a rich source of wide range of Vitamins as Vitamin A, B Vitamins (B1, B2, and B3), Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folic Acid, and Vitamin D.
- Minerals: It is a rich source of Calcium, Phosphorus, and Iron – almost twice that of Chicken and Beef.
- Proteins: The quality of protein from oyster mushrooms matches with that of animal proteins.
What are the Health Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms?
Oyster mushrooms are categorised as a functional food with medicinal and nutritional benefits. They contain a wide variety of antioxidants, which have anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hypertensive (regulate blood pressure) effects on the body. Here are some of the benefits of Oyster Mushrooms:
Boosts Immune System
Oyster Mushrooms have an immune modulatory effect on our body. This means that they help to control the immune system, increase if immunity is low and reduce the autoimmune disorders of immune system is gone out of control.
Oyster Mushrooms improve the lipid profile, hence relieving signs of dyslipidemia. They boost heart health by regulating blood pressure and by helping to relax the blood vessels.
Oyster Mushrooms have a hepatoprotective effect as it reduces the enzymes that promote production of cholesterol in liver, hence controlling fat amounts, and fatty liver disease.
Colon Cancer, Gastro-intestinal Health, and Constipation
Oyster mushrooms contain very high content of fibre, antioxidants, and digestive enzymes that prevent inflammation of the digestive tract and upkeep healthy digestive system. It can help to prevent colon cancer and inflammatory GI tract disorders.
Oyster Mushroom Recipe – Indian Style Stir-Fry
Oyster Mushroom Recipe – Indian style stir-fry
- 250 g Fresh Oyster Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil Use pure oils as Sesame oil, Olive oil, peanut oil, or Mustard oil.
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds powder optional
- 1 inch Ginger Finely pounded or grated.
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 2 Medium sized Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Twig of Coriander leaves To garnish
- 1½ tsp Salt to taste
Preparing the Oyster Mushrooms
- Wash the Oyster mushrooms well.
- Oyster mushrooms can soak lot of water. Hence, squeeze out all excess water to leave them dry.
- Finely chop the washed and dried mushrooms. Keep aside.
For the Oyster Mushroom recipe
- Wash and finely chop all the ingredients as Onion, garlic, ginger, Tomatoes, and coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in the pan on high heat.
- Once the oil is slightly hot, add Onions, Ginger, and Garlic.
- Bring heat to medium. Stir the mix well till it turns golden brown.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add in the tomatoes. Mix well and cover for 3-4 mins till the tomatoes are fully mashed and mixed with the rest.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms. Mix well and cover.
- Cook for 7-8 mins, till all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Close the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Chapati or rice or grains of your choice.
We would love to hear from you! If you try this Oyster Mushroom recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!