This purple cabbage recipe is very easy to make in one-pot. It is highly nutritious. It is vegan and kids friendly. It carries aroma and flavour of Indian spices. These spices also improve the digestion of cabbage, hence improving the bio-availability of its nutrients.
It can be made in a pan or in a pressure cooker as well. Pan version will be slightly crunchy in texture. Picture below shows pan-fried cabbage with Dosa and flax seeds chutney powder.
Pressure cooked cabbage version will be softer and mushier, hence better suited to the palette of kids. Here is a picture of pressure-cooked purple cabbage with same ingredients and method.
Since purple cabbage is usually slightly harder to chew or crunchier than green cabbage, you can perhaps cook it pressure cooker to get a softer version for chapati and bread.
Purple Cabbage Stir-Fry with Coconut and Lentils
- 2 cups Purple Cabbage Finely Chopped
- 2 tbsp Chana Daal Chana Daal is split Bengal Gram. Can be replaced with split Mung Beans or Toor Daal (Pigeon Peas)
- 12 Curry leaves
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- Pinch Asafetida powder
- 1½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1½ tsp Sabzi Masala or Curry Powder Optional
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil Olive oil, Ghee, Coconut Oil, or Peanut Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh grated coconut optional
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves optional
- Finely chop purple cabbage and keep aside.
- Finely chop tomato and garlic and keep aside separately. Pound or grate the ginger fine.
- Heat the pan on high and add cooking oil.
- When the oil is slightly hot, add the mustard seeds, chana daal, and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add curry leaves, ginger and garlic and mix well. Stir till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped cabbage, chopped tomato and salt. Mix well. Lower down the heat and cover.
- When the cabbage is half cooked, add turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, grated coconut, and curry powder.
- Mix well and cover again. Cook on low heat for another 5-7 mins till the cabbage is soft.
- Close the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with fresh Chapati (Indian Bread), Dosa, or steamed rice.
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!