This quinoa porridge recipe is a sure shot winner when it comes to introducing quinoa in your meals. It is simple, delicious, bursting with flavour and nutrients.
This recipe is super easy to make, kind of one-pot recipe that you can turn around in a jiffy! Just that you need to make sure your herbs are there with you, that’s all.
Quinoa is a complete protein, it is a healthful grain to be included weekly meals; however a lot of people are repelled by its bland taste. This recipe addresses quinoa’s blandness with mouth watering spices and tangy flavour that you won’t be able to resist.
This recipe is kids friendly, it is great for Diabetics, heart patients, during pregnancy, and for new mothers. You can choose veggies per your requirement and availability. Cheese is indeed optional but recommended.
Quinoa Porridge with Veggies, Mushrooms, Herbs, and Cheese
- Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker or Rice Cooker
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 1½ cups Quinoa
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 150 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 100 g Shimeji Mushrooms Or any other mushrooms
- 50 g Mozzarella Cheese optional or any othe cheese of choice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Cloves
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Paprika Powder Or Black Pepper to be sprikled in the end
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Olive Oil Or any pure cooking oil
- Wash and soak quinoa in water such that there is 1 inch layer of water on top of it.
- Boil quinoa in pressure cooker or slow cooker by adding quinoa with water and boiling it till it is soft. Pressure cooker may need 2 whistles. And slow cooker will need about 15 mins.
- Separately and Finely chop the cherry tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic. Keep aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and separate them as small stems or cut into small pieces if needed.
- Grate the cheese and keep aside.
Preparing the Porridge
- Heat a pan and add oil to it.
- When the oil is slightly hot, add star anise, cloves, and bayleaf. Sitr for few seconds.
- Now add onion and garlic. Mix well till it turns golden brown.
- Now add paprika powder, turmeric powder, salt, and cinnamon powder. Mix well.
- Add all the veggies except the mushrooms. Cover and cook on low heat. Once the carrots turn soft, add the mushrooms and mix well. Stir for about a minute.
- Now add the cooked quinoa. Mix well.
- Close the heat and top the porridge with grated cheese.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!