This is a delicious and creamy savoury porridge recipe. It is a complete meal in itself owing to the ingredients of the recipe. Quinoa is a complete protein. Avocado serves essential omega 3 fats and fibre. And spinach is a great source of minerals, fibre, and vitamins.
This quinoa porridge can be made for any of the three meals per your choice. It suits all three Dosha and is great recipe for any health condition as well.
Spinach Quinoa Porridge with Cherry Tomatoes and Avocado
- Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker or Rice Cooker
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 1½ cups Quinoa
- 3 cups water For cooking in pan (For pressure cooker, it would be 2 cups of water).
- 1 Medium Bunch of Spinach Or any greens of your choice – Amaranth, Moringa, Methi (Fenugreek) – all of them will go well in this recipe
- 150 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Avocado
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1½ tsp Paprika Powder Or Black Pepper to be sprikled in the end
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Olive Oil Or any pure cooking oil
- 1 small Onion optional
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root
- Wash and soak quinoa in water such that there is 1 inch layer of water on top of it.
- Boil quinoa in pressure cooker or slow cooker by adding quinoa with water and boiling it till it is soft. Pressure cooker may need 2 whistles. And slow cooker will need about 15 mins.
- Separately and Finely chop the cherry tomatoes, spinach, and onion. Keep aside.
- Cut Avocado in ½ inch pieces and keep aside.
- Pound ginger and garlic separately in a mortar and pestle. It helps to bring out additional flavours. You can also chop or grate the ginger.
Preparing the Porridge
- Heat a pan and add oil to it.
- When the oil is slightly hot, add onion, ginger and garlic. Mix well till it turns golden brown.
- Now add in salt, paprika powder, and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Add all the veggies except Avocado. Cover and cook on low heat.
- Once the veggies are cooked, then close the heat and keep covered.
- Now add the cooked quinoa and Avocado pieces. Mix well.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Interested to join like-minded people to share and learn about healthy food, Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle? Join Medhya’s Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Community on Facebook.