Raw Papaya is a versatile and highly nutritious addition to the kitchen. Green papaya recipes are plenty and vary according to the region and occasion!
Green papaya does not carry any special flavor and it blends well in all texture foods. This is also the reason that green papaya can be added to all parts of meals ranging from salads, soups, curries, and desserts.
Papaya has one of the highest concentrations of enzymes amongst all the fruits and vegetables. In India, it is often referred to as Amrutabhanda, meaning a storehouse of the elixir of life. Learn about the health benefits of green papaya here.
Amrutabhanda Raei – Papaya Recipes
This is one of Papaya recipes that is super easy to turnaround, highly nutritious, and quick yet healthy addition to your meals. In this recipe, we have cooked green papaya in Oriya style with fresh Mustard “Rai” paste.
Orissa is an Eastern Indian state blessed with a bounty of flora in terms of vegetables and fruits. In traditional Oriya cuisine, there is extensive use of herbs and spices to make dishes that assimilate well, are highly nourishing, and often therapeutic to body systems.
Delicious and Flavourful Raw Papaya Recipes – Amrutabhanda Raei
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 500 g Green Papaya
- 1 Large Onion
- ¼ Cup Peanuts 12-15 pieces of peanuts. This can be replaced with Cashew or with Coconut cream depending upon availability and choice of ingredients. The taste would have variations accordingly.
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5 Cloves Garlic Optional
- 1 Green Chili Optional
- 1 Red Chili Dried. Optional.
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil Mustard Oil or Coconut Oil or Ghee or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Salt To taste
Preparing the Raw Papaya
- Wash and peel the skin off green Papaya.
- Deseed and cut the papaya into small – half-inch cubes.
- Add the green papaya cubes with Salt, Turmeric powder, and 2 table spoons water in a pan.
- Cover the pan and boil the Papaya cubes on low heat till it turns soft.
Preparation of the Spices Paste
- Add peanuts, 1 tsp mustard seeds, garlic, and green chili to a grinder.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to allow the spices to grind well.
- Grind to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Preparing the Dish
- Heat the pan and add cooking oil to it.
- Add 1 tsp Mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
- Cut red chili into 2-3 pieces. Add to the pan and stir for a few seconds.
- Finely chop the onion and add it to the pan. Let it turn golden brown.
- Add boiled Papaya, mix well and let it cook for few minutes on low heat.
- Add the paste to the mix. Stir well and let it cook on low heat for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot along with boiled rice or Chapati – Indian bread.
We would love to hear from you! If you try this Raw Papaya recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!