Snake Gourd carries multiple benefits for the entire body. In Ayurveda it is considered to have a cooling effect on the body and help flush the toxins out of the body organs. The vegetable is recommended to be consumed for heart disorders, for Diabetes, during fevers, and to reduce inflammation.
Snake Gourd promotes weight loss and helps fight obesity. It has antimicrobial properties and also relieves gastric disorders. It promotes circulation of fluids in the body and also nurtures the body systems.
Snake Gourd Soup – For Sick and Healthy
This soup is ideally combined with Indian flat bread Roti or can also be taken along with steamed rice. With the ease of preparation and multitude of health benefits it provides, this snake gourd soup should be added to meals on a weekly basis!
- This recipe is great for sick as it allows them to boost immunity, reduce fever, and pacify Kapha Dosha reducing symptoms of cold and cough.
- It supports digestion by boosting the digestive fire and also is light to digest.
- The soup is ideal for new mothers, during pregnancy, for children, and those suffering from health disorders as Diabetes, Cancer, Hypertension, Menstrual Disorders, and also Obesity.
One pot Snake Gourd Soup – Indian style recipe
- Pressure Cooker (Optional)
- 700 g Snake Gourds About 2 Medium to Large
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 2 Sprigs Fresh coriander leaves or cilantro leaves For granishing
- 1 tbsp Ghee Peanut oil or Mustard oil or Olive Oil
- 1 inch Fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Salt To taste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- Wash and lightly peel the gourd. Do not peel and wash but first wash and then peel. This to prevent the water soluble nutrients from running away into waste water.
- Cut horizontally in small – less than half inch pieces. Towards the centre the gourd turns thicker, so cut the horizontal pieces once more to make it easy to consume.
- Finely chop Onion, Garlic, Tomato, Coriander leaves, and grate the Ginger.
- Heat the pan and put the oil.
- Once the oil is little hot, add the mustard seeds.Let the seeds splutter.
- Then add garlic, onion, and ginger. Stir-fry for 5 mins till the mix turns golden.
- Add turmeric, salt, and coriander powder. Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir for another 5 minutes till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add cut snake gourd pieces now. Mix well.
- Add 1½½ cup of water. Cook for another 10 minutes till the gourd is soft in texture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!