It is an easy and one pot preparation, requiring minimal levels of preparation. Fresh and young kakrol fruits carry delicious crunchy taste and texture, and it is enjoyed both by kids and adults.
This is an Oriya recipe, where spine gourd is usually taken liberally in the season, along with other veggies and curries in the meal.
This recipe is highly recommended for Diabetics, heart patients, liver patients, children, and for pregnant, and young mothers.
It can be enjoyed with proteins of choice and along with rice or Indian bread such as chapati, or along with fermented rice pancake Dosa.
Spine Gourd – Kakrol Stir-fry Recipe
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 600 g Fresh and young kakrol
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Potato Optional
- 1 Small Tomato Optional
- 2 tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil Pure unrefined oil
- Wash and dry the Kakrol.
- Slightly peel the damaged section. If not, then leave as such.
- Cut in slices horizontally to get 3-4 mm circular discs. Keep aside.
- Peel and cut the potato in half inch cubes.
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, and garlic. Pound or grate the ginger.
- Heat the pan and add oil. Once the oil is slightly hot, add mustard seeds.
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic when the seeds start to splutter.
- Add turmeric, salt, and coriander powder when the onions and garlic have turned golden brown.
- Stir for 1 min and potato cubes. Cook the mix for 5 mins.
- Now add the Kakrol discs and chopped tomato.
- Bring the gas to low/medium and cover.
- Keep stirring in between and let the mix cook for 10-15 mins till the kakrol is soft and crunchy.
- Do not overcook as the vegetable will lose its taste and texture.
- Serve along with rice or bread and enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!