A quick stir-fry made with Tempeh, enoki mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and capsicum. I have added fresh basil leaves for aroma and nutritional value. You can try this recipe with other herbs such as cilantro, thyme, sage, or fresh oregano leaves. Or give it a try with dried herbs.
For the rest of ingredients, they fall in the family of night shades or Pitta promoting. Hence, this recipe is recommended for lunch or breakfast. Avoid it for dinner in general.
This recipe is balancing for all Vata and Kapha Dosha. It is good for Pitta Dosha in small quantities only. It goes well with chapati, bread, rice, porridge, or with pasta. Take it for any meal of the day. You can also add/alter the mix of veggies here. My suggestion would be sweet corn and carrots.
Tempeh Basil Stir Fry with Enoki Mushrooms and Capsicum
- Heavy Bottom Pan or Pot
- 200 g Tempeh
- 100 g Enoki Mushrooms
- 100 g Bell Peppers / Capsicum
- 1 tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1 tbsp Naturally brewed soy sauce.
- ½ cup Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Freshly ground for garnishing
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil Or any pure cooking oil, specifically sesame oil
- 1 Medium Onion optional
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 100 g Cherry Tomatoes
Cutting and preparing Tempeh
- Cut Tempeh into small (½ inch) pieces. Smaller pieces will help to mask the taste of Tempeh and let it mix well with other ingredients.
- Heat the pan on medium and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Once the oil is little warm, add tempeh pieces. Increase the heat and let it saute well.
- Add the soy sauce on top of tempeh and mix well.
- Once tempeh turns golden brown, then close heat and put tempeh in a bowl/container.
Preparing rest of the veggies
- Wash and coarsely cut enoki mushrooms. Keep aside.
- Cut the capsicum, cherry tomatoes, onion, and basil into small pieces. Keep aside separately.
- Pound ginger and garlic separately. Keep aisde. You can chop it as well.
Cooking the Vegetables
- Heat the pan and put rest of the oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onion, ginger and garlic mix. Stir till it turns golden brown.
- Now add rest of the veggies, except the mushrooms. Add salt.
- Mix well and cover for about 5-7 mins on medium heat.
- Now add cut enoki mushrooms, tempeh, and chopped basil.
- Mix well, cover, and let the veggies cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Sprinkle pepper and serve with your meals. Enjoy!
Interested to join like-minded people to share and learn about healthy food, Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle? Join Medhya’s Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Community on Facebook.