A delicious Thailand style Basil Tofu Scramble is all you need for a lazy Sunday lunch! Learn about Tofu Nutrition and Benefits here.
Basil Tofu scramble goes well with steamed rice, or noodles, and can also be filled inside the chapati (Indian flat bread) as a Kathi Roll. This tofu recipe is kids friendly, diabetic friendly, great for pregnancy, and for new mothers.
It is a great protein rich meal option for vegans and vegetarians.
Nutrition and Benefits of Basil Tofu Scramble
Basil is a common herb that has multiple health benefits and carries medicinal value. It is recommended for gastro-intestinal disorders, immunity disorders, reproductive, and respiratory disorders as well.
Cooking Tips for Selection of Ingredients
- Use firm tofu to get nice texture for this recipe. When you open tofu, remove all the excess water (used to keep tofu intact) by draining and pressing the tofu, if required. If water stays in the tofu, the recipe turns out to be soggy and looses its charm.
- We used sweet basil for this recipe. You can also go for other basil variants such as lemon basil or Italian basil to add the flavours.
- We replaced salt with naturally brewed soy sauce. It adds to the aroma and flavour of the recipe.
- For vinegar, we used rice vinegar. You can also use other vinegars such as wheat based or millets based vinegar. Always look for naturally brewed and pure versions. Do not consume synthetic vinegars in meals.
- For sweetener, optional though, we used cane molasses. Use common sugar. If using honey, make sure that it is not heated as heating makes honey an incompatible food that shouldn’t be consumed.
Thai Style Basil Tofu Scramble
- Pan or Pot
- 600 g Tofu Extra Firm
- ½ Cup Sweet Basil Leaves About 15 g
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds Roasted, Black or White
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 Red Chili Dried or Fresh (optional ingredient)
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar Can be replaced with fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Molasses Or Brown Sugar (optional ingredient)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 tbsp Virgin Oil Peanut oil, sunflower oil, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Drain the water from tofu. Press further using a strainer to remove any extra water on it.
- Cut the tofu into small pieces or Scramble it.
- Put the tofu in a bowl.
- Add turmeric powder to it. Mix well and keep aside for 5 mins.
Preparing the Sauce
- Pound the ginger and garlic together in a mortal and pestle. Alternatively, finely grate the ginger and finely chop the garlic.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Roast the sesame seeds.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the turmeric tofu mix and stir-fry till the tofu is dry and firmer.
- Keep the heat at high. This should take around 7 – 10 mins.
- Take the tofu off the heat. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Heat the wok again on high and add remaining oil.
- Add ginger garlic paste and roast till golden brown.
- Add the onions and basil leaves. Roast till onions turn golden brown.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame seeds.
- Mix well for few seconds while keeping the heat on.
- Add tofu. Mix well. Take off the heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!