This is a delicious and super nutritious recipe made with Gongura leaves and firm tofu. It is a easy and quick recipe to add sorrel greens and tofu to your meals.
This recipe is kids friendly. It is a great meal option for people suffering from Diabetes, Hypertension, and Hormone Imbalance. This recipe packs Vitamins, specifically Vitamins C, A, and E, Proteins, and Antioxidants.
Gongura and Firm Tofu Curry
- Blender or Food Processor
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 400 g Firm Tofu
- 200 g Fresh Gongura Leaves
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1½ inch Fresh ginger root
- 1 Dried Red Chili optional or sprinkle Black Pepper after cooking
- 1 Dried Bayleaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Clove
- 2 tbsp Pure Oil for Cooking Ghee, Mustard Oil, Olive Oil, or Peanut Oil
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour optional if you wan to make the curry creamier
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds Powder optional
- 1½ tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1 pinch Asafetida or Hing
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt To Taste
Preparing the Gongura Leaves
- Wash the gongura twigs and separate the leaves from the stem.
- Now coarsely cut the leaves and put them in a pan with 2 tbsp water.
- Heat the pan and let the leaves steam till they wilt off – about 5-7 mins.
- Close the heat. Let the leaves cool down.
- Now put them in a blender to make fine puree. Keep aside.
Preparing Tofu and other veggies
- Pound ginger and garlic into fine pieces.
- Finely chop the onion and keep aside.
- Wash the tofu and press it a little to separate all water. Now cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes. Keep aside.
- Ina separate bowl, mix corn flour in 3 tbsp normal water and keep aside.
Cooking the curry
- Heat the pan and put oil in it.
- Increase the heat and add tofu to it. Let the tofu be fried well on all sides by turning as required. Close heat and keep aside.
- Now heat the same pan again. There will be residual oil to be used for frying onion and garlic. If not, add some more.
- Once oil is slightly hot, add Asafetida, dried red chili, bayleaf, clove, and star anise. Stir for few seconds.
- Now add pounded ginger and garlic and onion. Stir till it turns golden brown.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and coriander seeds powder. Mix well for few more seconds.
- Now add corn flour, fried tofu, and gongura puree. Mix well and let it cook for another few minutes.
- Serve with rice or chapati. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!