This is a super delicious turkey berry curry recipe. It is a quick turnaround and packed with flavours and nutrients. This recipe is kids friendly and recommended for Diabetics, new mothers, and during pregnancy.
Turkey berry usually has a bitter sweet taste. Turkey berry is a tropical berry or vegetable. It can eaten raw as a salad (but it’s bitter!!), stir-fried, or added to tangy and spicy curries such as thai curry and soups.
Spices and herbs mask its strange flavour and allow us to happily include this healthful vegetable to our meals. And that’s what I have done in here! This turkey berry curry is cooked in Indian style with lots of herbs, spices, and coconut. All of these fully mask the berries’ flavour and make into a delicious and super nutritious turkey berry curry.
Let’s get started!
Turkey Berry – Sudakkai Curry with Coconut and Tamarind
- Mortar Pestle or Grinder
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 150 g Fresh Turkey Berry
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 Sprigs Fresh coriander leaves or cilantro leaves optional
- 150 g Fresh coconut
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt To taste
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Sambhar Powder Optional. It is a pre-packed masala mix used for pigeon peas soup.
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 inch Tamarind Pulp piece or 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 2 Dried Red Chili optional or per your taste
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil Any pure oil of your choice
- 3 cups Water
Preparing the curry paste
- Add coconut tamarind cake, garlic, chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds in a grinder and grind till you get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Preparing the vegetables
- Wash the turkey berries and separate them from the stem. Keep aside.
- Coarsely crush them using mortar and pestle. This will allow faster cooking and better assimilation of flavours.
- Finely chop onion. Keep aside
Preparing the curry
- Heat the pan and add oil.
- Add asafetida and mustard seeds. Let the seeds crackle.
- Now add onion and curry leaves. Mix well till onion turns golden brown.
- Now add the curry paste and pounded turkey berries . Mix well for 2-3 mins till the paste is cooked well.
- Now add turmeric powder, sambhar powder, rock salt. Mix well for 1 min.
- Now add water to the mix. Lower down the heat and let it cook for 10-15 mins till the berries turn softer.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or chapati. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!