This is a delicious and super simple winter melon (ash gourd) recipe. It is made in Indian style with peanuts and Indian spices. You can have it at any time of the day.
This ash gourd recipe is highly nutritious and easy to digest. It is recommended for children, pregnant women, Diabetics, elderly, and for those looking to lose weight in a healthy way.
Ash gourd is also known as winter melon or wax gourd. It is commonly available in Asian markets. You can find immature and hairy versions or waxy and mature versions. This recipe is good to cook both types of ash gourd.
Learn here about the benefits and consumption of winter melon.
Winter melon curry cooked in Indian style with peanuts
- Pressure Cooker (Optional)
- Mortar and Pestle or Grinder
- 400 g Fresh ripe winter melon
- 2 tbsp Raw peanut kernels
- 1½ tsp Rock Salt to taste
- 1 pinch Asafetida or Hing
- ½ inch Fresh ginger root
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1½ tbsp Pure cooking oil ghee or mustard oil
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh coriander leaves or cilantro leaves
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh curry leaves
- 1 small Tomato finely chopped
Prepare Peanut paste
- Add peanuts and ginger root to the grinder with 1 tbsp water and grind it to get smooth paste.
Prepare Winter Melon
- Wash and Peel the melon.
- Cut the melon into 1/2 inch small pieces and keep aside.
Prepare the curry
- Heat the pan or pressure cooker.
- Add ghee once the pan is hot. Add Asafetida powder and mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds crackle. Now add the curry leaves and peanut paste.
- Mix well and let the paste be roasted properly.
- Now add salt, turmeric, and coriander seeds powder. Mix well.
- Now add the chopped tomato and mix well. Let the tomato be slightly mashed.
- Now add the cut melon pieces. Add about 50 ml of water if you are cooking in a pan. Add 2 tbsp water if you are cooking in a pressure cooker.
- Cover and let the melon be cooked till it turns soft. Close the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with chapati or rice. Enjoy!
We would love to hear from you! If you try this recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!