Drumstick Sambar is a super easy one pot recipe that carries healing and nourishing benefits. Drumsticks as popularly known are beans of the Moringa Oliefera tree. They are one of the most healthful and economical ingredients available.
This drumstick sambar recipe carries all six Rasa or tastes of Ayurveda, making it a complete meal that would deeply nurture your tissues and build up your Ojas (Immunity).
Who should eat Drumstick Sambar?
- This drumstick sambar recipe is ideal for people suffering from metabolic or cardiovascular health disorders such as Diabetes, Hypertension, and Obesity.
- It is a great protein rich and nutrient dense meal option for pregnant and lactating women and for those undergoing hormonal imbalances such as Gestational Diabetes, PMS, Menopause Syndrome, and PCOS.
- For children, this recipe carries vital antioxidants and proteins to boost immunity and build their bones.
Benefits of Drumsticks – Murungakkai
- In Ayurveda, drumstick seeds, obtained from dried drumstick is recommended for Diabetes.
- The pods are rich in oliec acid, a heart healthy fatty acid, which lowers down and regulates high cholesterol.
- Drumstick is anti-inflammatory for high concentration of antioxidants. It is a great food addition for Arthritis, Immunity health problems, Asthma, and Allergies.
- Drumstick pods carry vital Vitamins as Vitamin B, Vitamin C, and Folic Acid.
- It is a rich source of minerals as Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, and Phosphorus.
- Drumsticks protects liver and promotes bile secretion, hence putting digestive system on track.
- Drumstick is diuretic in nature, and promotes kidney health.
Drumstick Sambar Recipe – Simple One pot recipe to Nourish and Heal
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 Cup Toor Daal Can also be replaced by Split and Peeled Mung Daal.
- 2 Inch Seedless Tamarind Or add 1½ tsp Tamarind paste.
- 1½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee Replace with Coconut oil, or peanut oil, or Sesame oil
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger root pounded or finely chopped
- 1 Pinch Asafetida
- 1½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder Optional
- 1½ tsp Coriander seeds powder
- 2 Medium Dried Red Chilli Optional. Remove it or add more per your taste.
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 4 Medium Drumstick pods
- 2 Springs Fresh curry leaves
- 2 tsp Rock salt to Taste
- Wash and pat dry the drumstick pods.
- Lightly scrape and peel the skin to remove any hardy parts
- Cut into small 3-4 inch pieces
Preparing Drumstick Sambar
- Wash the toor daal properly and soak in water, equal to 4 times volume of the daal.
- Heat the pressure cooker on medium heat.
- Add oil and let it turn hot. Once the oil is hot, add Asafetida, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, and Red Chilli.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves, garlic, ginger, and onion.
- Stir till the mix turns golden brown.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander seeds powder. Mix well for few seconds.
- Add soaked toor daal along with 4 times water.
- Add in Tamarind and cut and clean Drumstick pods.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook till 2-3 whistles.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or freshly made Chapati.
We would love to hear from you! If you try this drumstick sambar recipe, do leave a comment and rate the recipe! Don’t forget to take a photo, tag @medhyaherbals, and hashtag it #medhyaherbals on Instagram. Eat Well, Feel Happy, and Look Awesome!