Dark Circles under eyes are clear discolorations that appear on the skin right below your lower eyelids till your cheek bone hits in.
It is by reason of this their positioning that they are referred to as “raccoon eyes.” Nobody wants to look like a raccoon. Dark Circles can be disfiguring, and some people will go to lengths to get the circles off, if only to “mask their age.”
What You'll Learn | Click on Topic to Go There
Tired, Dull, and Aging Skin!
Someone has truly said, “if the eyes are the windows to the soul, then the skin around them is the barometer to your age.”
Dark circles are, more often than not, accompanied by bags under the eyes, which are puffy and swollen with fluid. This combination of dark circles and eye bags makes one look old, tired, and dull. Generally, these signs are quickly associated with stress or sleep deprivation. True, stress and sleep deprivation can cause dark circles, but there is more.
Who are those that pack puffy bags under their eyes?
Dark circles under eyes and puffy bags is commonly seen in people who:
- are elderly, because dark circles can be caused by extrinsic aging factors(aging factors that can’t be controlled);
- are genetically predisposed to it (i.e. periorbital hyperpigmentation);
- have darker skin tone, because they have a higher risk of overproducing melanin. Melanin is the pigment that gives the skin its dark coloration.
What Does Ayurveda Have To Say About Dark Circles?
Ayurveda makes diagnosis and prescriptions based on the three doshas that make up the composition of every person. They are the Pitta Dosha(fire and water), the Kapha Dosha(earth and water), and the Vata Dosha(air and space). When there is an imbalance in this composition, then it shows up as an ailment. In this case, it presents as a discoloration.
So, going by these principles, an imbalance in which of the doshas lead up to dark circles? If we are to consider the conditions that show up on the skin due to imbalances in doshas, we will find that the one most consistent with black/brown discoloration, dry, rough skin, as we observe with dark circles under the eyes, is the Vata Dosha.
It is no wonder, because we can see the causes of these discolorations that show up under the eyes, and the accompanying eye bags, can still be linked up to the vata dosha in one way or the other.
Causes Of The Circles And The Accompanying Eye Bags
Vata Dosha becomes more dominant with increasing age, and it’s widely known that these dark circles appear with age. So, the older a person is, the greater the Vata energy they have, and the more likely it is that they have dark circles, and this is indeed true with many elderly people. But Medhya Herbals is glad to tell you that your case doesn’t have to be that way. Follow along, and you’ll see how.
2. Water Retention
The kidney is the organ of the body that is chiefly responsible for water metabolism, and it is supposed to get rid of the excess water in the body system. The lower eyelid is an adrenal area, and below this adrenal area, just under the eyelid, is the kidney area. Now, the kidney is a vata organ, together with the adrenal area. Once there is an aggravation of the vata dosha, whether due to lifestyle, diet or age, the kidney’s water metabolism is hindered, and excess water is retained in the body. This water is stored in tissues, including the lower eyelids.
3. Sleep Deprivation
During sleep, the body repairs itself, and blood is allowed to flow from the core of the body to the surface, bringing sufficient oxygen to the skin, allowing build up of more collagen, and draining off fluids and toxins. If one doesn’t get enough sleep then, there is an accumulation of fluid and toxins, the body is not allowed to repair itself, and this leads to dark circles and eye bags. This is why your eyes look puffed up when you’ve not had enough sleep over the night.
4. Eye Strain
When the eyes are kept pressed on screens of phone, television or computers, or when reading with dim light, the strain cause stress to the eyes, and also cause wrinkles to appear.
5. Allergic Reactions
In allergic reactions, the body releases histamines(which is intended to eliminate harmful bacteria), and this histamine causes itchiness, redness, and puffiness of the eyes.
- Genetic problems that affect the kidney, or other kidney conditions.
- Overproduction of melanin.
- Dryness of skin and dehydration, giving a dull and tired look.
- Veins and capillaries showing through the skin could also give the appearance of a dark coloration.
Cure For Dark Circles Under Eyes
As promised, Medhya Herbals will not leave you without a remedy, so that should you start noticing those ugly dark circles and bags that make you look ancient, you will be able to eradicate them, and infact, you will know how to prevent them form showing up at all.
This are not quick-mask methods that will give you a relieve for a few hours. You might have been urged to;
- use concealers and heavy make-ups to conceal the circles, but you will agree that you are only concealing the spots. They have not gone away, but have only been temporarily hidden.
- try laser therapy: the laser beams could clear the hyper-pigmentation, but with the underlying cause not removed, the dark circles gradually begin to return with time.
- use chemical peels to clear off the dark coloration.
- apply tissue fillers, but these might trigger reactions.
- take medical tattoos that involve injecting pigments into your skin to change the color. The thing is, the pigment eventually washes off, and some of it is absorbed by the skin.
And there are many other methods that will you give you quick but short-lived results, but Medhya Herbals has lasting solutions for you.
Clearing Dark Circles With Ayurveda.
- Kumkumadi is always a good bet for skin problems. Use your index finger to apply kumkumadi to the spots at night time.
- Badaam (almond) is also recommended for its richness in vitamin E, which helps in lightening the skin naturally.
- Place slices of cucumber over the eyes and leave it there for a while. This practice also ensures you rest because you have to remain lying on your back for the cucumber slices to stay on.
- Regularly use intensive eye cream, using your little finger to gently tap the product around your entire orbital bone.
- Use cold compresses to reduce swollen, puffy eye bags.
Lifestyle Changes To Clear Dark Circles And Maintain Clear Eyelids.
- Use antioxidants.
- Keep out of the sun.
- Sleep well, the right way.
- Elevate your head while sleeping so that fluid will not accumulate under your eyelids.
- Practice pranayama, regulate breath to help calm the vata dosha.
- If you must make up, then use ones with good quality, and always wash off before going to bed.
Diet Changes To Clear Dark Circles And Maintain Clear Eyelids.
- Avoid spicy, astringent and bitter food.
- Stay away from food that further aggravate the vata, rather embrace vata-pacifying diet that include beetroots, carrots, radishes, cooked oats, potatoes, dairies, etc.
- Avoid cold drinks.
- Stay away from dry fruits, nuts, and food like bread.
Remember, your body is a microcosm of the universe, and like the universe, it was made to self-regulate, to take care of itself.
Interested to join like-minded people to share and learn about healthy food, Ayurvedic Diet and lifestyle? Join Medhya’s Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Community on Facebook.