To lose weight through diet and exercise only can become extremely challenging as we age. There are stubborn fats that have accumulated on various parts of our body over the time and no matter what you do, they won’t budge. So, what can you do to see the growing part of the weight loss curve?
There are multiple products, dietary regimes, and lifestyle hacks to lose weight fast, but more often than not they do temporary or permanent harm to the body. In some cases, you would lose weight only to see it come back as you get back to your regular self. This becomes highly disappointing and demotivating for majority of us.
Thankfully, Ayurveda can help us both to break this cycle and also to make positive changes to our body such that we feel energetic and healthier than ever.
Weight Gain is a Symptom of Ill Health
Ayurveda is the oldest and one of the most established medicinal system that involves a deeper understanding of our body and how it interacts with our environment.
Our lifestyle, state of mind, surroundings, and of course food are the contributing factors to our physical and mental states. Ayurveda provides us with the knowledge on how to maintain our body and mind such that it function at its very best!
Our bodies are designed to be lean. Weight gain or obesity is actually a symptom than a cause. It indicates that your body is not functioning well. Ayurvedic weight loss tips involve removal of stubborn fats through foods and lifestyle regime that boost metabolism and ignite your digestive fire “Agni”.
An Ayurvedic lifestyle involves eating right foods per your body, time of the day, and season of the year. Ayurvedic foods involve simple and wholesome meal regime that would help to ignite and nurture your digestive fire, leading to full break down of food and assimilation nutrients in the body.
Toxins or Amavisha makes it difficult to lose weight!
Certain toxins are water-soluble, which get removed easily through diet and exercise. Other toxins are fat-soluble and they get embedded in the fat cells.
As a result of which the fat cells expand due to accumulation of these toxins, which leads to weight gain. Ayurveda targets the Ama and removes it from the body. This strengthens the digestive system, immune system, and functioning of the vital organs of our body.
Ahara – Food to Lose Weight
Herbs to Cleanse and Boost Metabolism
Know about these herbs in detail through our posts on each of them. Health benefits, consumption, recipe suggestions have been provided that will guide you to include them into your meals.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruits and vegetables are part of a well-balanced and healthy eating plan. They are lower in calories, provide essential micronutrients such as Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants.
- Consumption of more fruits and vegetables along with whole grains and lean meats, nuts, and beans is a safe and healthy beginning of meal planning.
- Diets rich in fruits and vegetables also reduce the risk of chronic lifestyle disorders such as Diabetes, Cancer, Hypertension, and Obesity etc.
- Plants such as Bitter Gourd, Moringa, Amla provide essential micronutrients and fiber to help lose weight.
- Additionally, cruciferous vegetables such as Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Broccoli are great to include as they are rich in proteins and antioxidants. These vegetable inhibit the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat and provide body with ample fibre and nutrients to stay healthy.
Remove Processed Foods
- Remove processed carbohydrates such as white sugar, refined flour, and bleached rice from your diet. Instead give way to whole cereals and natural sugar substitutes.
- Whole cereals and carbohydrates will support your digestive system with fibre and provide with essential macro-nutrients to help assimilate the micro-nutrients in your meals.
- Additionally, unprocessed wholesome carbohydrates will keep your gut flora healthy!
- Millets, Amaranth, or Quinoa should be used on regular basis instead of highly processed carbohydrates. They are low-GI and can play a major role to lose weight.
- Carbohydrates are essential for a well-balanced diet and healthy body. They provide the only fuel source for many vital organs, including the brain, central nervous system and kidneys.
Avoid too much intake of Salt
Sodium attracts and holds water. As a result excess sodium in the body causes fluid retention and increases blood volume, the latter of which makes your heart work harder to move blood through the vessels and increases arterial pressure.
This can lead to heart disease, stroke or high blood pressure. If you’re trying to lose weight, avoid eating processed and pre-packaged foods, which are usually high in salt and sodium additives. You also want to watch your use of condiments, like soy sauce, mustard, ketchup or salad dressing. Top tips here:
- Go for unprocessed Himalayan Pink Salt or Sea Salt instead of regular table salt
- Significantly reduce salt intake
- Use herbs and spices to flavor your food
Vihara – Lifestyle Tips to Lose Weight
Exercise is an important part of weight reduction plan. It helps to use up calories stored in body as fat. In addition, it also relieves tension and tones up the muscles of the body.
Walking and Yoga are the best exercises to begin with. One should stay regular with the chosen fitness regime and add complex workouts as and when required.
Adopt and practice a holistic methodology to Lose Weight
A healthy and wholesome diet encompassing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and healthy fats coupled along with daily physical activity is the best way to lose weight and keep it off!
Vegetarians and people who consume predominantly plant-based diets are generally slimmer. They have much lower rates of obesity, heart diseases, and lifestyle disorders such as diabetes, cancer, hypertension etc.
Ultimately, energy intake should not be more than energy output over a period of time. Avoiding large portion sizes and limiting intake of saturated fats and added sugars will help keep energy intake in check. Regular exercise is also critical for long-term weight loss success.