Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a condition that causes pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand and arm. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway in the wrist that is surrounded by bones and ligaments.
The median nerve, which runs from the forearm to the hand, travels through the carpal tunnel. When this nerve becomes compressed, it can cause carpal tunnel symptoms as weakness, numbness, pain and burning sensation in the arm. The symptoms of CTS usually start gradually and worsen over time. If you think you might have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, it’s important to see a doctor so you can get treatment.
Ayurvedic treatment and management of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome employs holistic treatment modalities like herbal medicines, massage and yoga to remove the inflammation and pain from the nerves, joints and muscles. CTS treatment in Ayurveda is effective to provide relief from Carpal Tunnel symptoms without the need for painkillers, steroids and surgery.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel is a condition in which the median nerve becomes compressed. The median nerve runs down the arm and through the wrist, ending in the hands. It controls movement and feeling in the thumb and first three fingers (not the little finger).
The carpal tunnel is a small space in the wrist surrounded by bones and ligaments. The median nerve and tendons pass through this space. Anything that crowds or irritates these structures can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Some examples include swelling from arthritis, a broken bone or dislocated joint in the wrist, or fluid retention during pregnancy. Sometimes no specific cause can be identified.
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include numbness, tingling, weakness, or pain in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. These symptoms usually occur at night. Early diagnosis and treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome is important to prevent permanent nerve damage.
Carpal tunnel usually goes away within a few weeks with treatment. However, in some cases, it can last for months or even years.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms
One of the most common symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is pain in the hand and wrist. This pain can range from a dull ache to a sharp, shooting pain. You might notice that the pain is worse at night or after you’ve been using your hand for a long period of time. Other symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome include :
– Pain, burning sensation, tingling, or itching in the palm
-Numbness or tingling in the hand and fingers
– Weakness in the hand
– Shock-like sensations in the hand or arm
– Tingling that travels up into the arm
If left untreated, carpal tunnel can lead to weakness and loss of sensation in the hand. In severe cases, it can even cause paralysis.
If you think you may have carpal tunnel, it is important to see a doctor so that you can get started on treatment as soon as possible. Left untreated, carpal tunnel can have a significant impact on your quality of life.
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
There are a number of different factors that can contribute to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. One of the most common is repetitive motion. It is often seen in people who perform repetitive tasks with their hands, such as typing or knitting.
If you do the same motions over and over again, it can put pressure on the median nerve, which runs through the Carpal Tunnel in the wrist. This pressure can cause inflammation and swelling, which can lead to the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Other possible causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome include inflammation and damage to the nerves caused by hormonal changes or health conditions such as:
– Neuropathy due to Diabetes
– Thyroid problems
– Wrist fractures or dislocation
– Fatty Liver or under performing liver
Conventional Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The most common treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome are :
– Wrist splinting: A wrist splint is a device that holds your wrist in a neutral position to take the pressure off the median nerve. It also keeps the wrist from bending too far.
– Steroid injections: A steroid injection can help reduce inflammation and swelling in the Carpal Tunnel.
– Surgery: In some cases, surgery may be necessary to release the pressure on the median nerve.
Diagnosis and Tests for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is diagnosed based on a person’s symptoms, medical history, and physical examination.
There are several tests that may be used to confirm the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. These include:
– Nerve conduction studies: This test measures how well and how fast electricity moves through the nerve.
– Electromyogram (EMG): This test measures the electrical activity of muscles.
– X-rays: X-rays can rule out other causes of symptoms, such as arthritis.
– MRI: This test can create images of the structures in the wrist and hand to help confirm the diagnosis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome treatment in Ayurveda identifies the root cause of the pain and thus helps to treat CTS in a systematic way for permanent relief.
CTS arises as a result of Vata imbalance, which affects the functioning of the nerves in the body, thus causing symptoms of tingling, numbness and sharp pain. Vata dosha blockade can happen due to multiple factors involving other dosha as pitta (arthritis) and kapha (diabetes) as well as build up of toxins “Ama” in the body.
Thus, Carpal tunnel treatment in Ayurvedic medicine is focused to soothe nervous system function with the help of heat and sneha (oil massage) therapies. In addition, Ayurvedic medicines, diet and lifestyle changes help to detox and strengthen the nerves.
There are a number of different herbs that can be used to treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Some of the most common include ginger, turmeric, and boswellia.
Best foods and Dietary Tips to Treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
If you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, there are a few dietary changes you can make that may help relieve your symptoms.
– Eat anti-inflammatory foods: Foods like ginger, turmeric, and omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation.
– Avoid trigger foods: Some foods, such as caffeine and alcohol, can worsen symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
– Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are packed with nutrients that can help support overall health.
– Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated is important for overall health and can also help reduce inflammation.
Healthy Lifestyle Changes for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
If you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, there are a few lifestyle changes you can make that may help relieve your symptoms.
– Wear a splint: A wrist splint can help keep the wrist in a neutral position and take the pressure off the median nerve.
– Avoid repetitive motions: Activities that involve repetitive motions, such as typing, can worsen symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
– Take breaks: Taking frequent breaks during activities can help reduce strain on the wrist and hand.
– Exercise regularly: Physical activity and regular exercises can help strengthen the muscles in the hand and wrist, which can help relieve symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
– Yoga: It can help stretch and strengthen the muscles in the hand and wrist, which can help relieve symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
– Acupuncture: It is a traditional Chinese medicine treatment that involves inserting needles into the skin. It’s thought to help relieve pain and improve circulation.
Helpful Yoga Asana for Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Yoga can help to stretch and strengthen the muscles and tendons around the wrist, which can help relieve symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Some helpful yoga asanas for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome include:
– downward facing dog
– cat-cow pose
– child’s pose
– wrist stretches
– handstands (against a wall)
– pranayama and breathing exercises
Essential Oil massage for carpal tunnel treatment at home
If you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, massage can help reduce inflammation and swelling in the Carpal Tunnel. You can do a self-massage at home or see a professional massage therapist.
To do a self-massage:
– Use your thumb and index finger to massage the base of your palm.
– Use your thumb to massage the muscles on the inside of your wrist.
– Use your fingers to massage the muscles on the top of your hand.
– Gently stretch your fingers and thumb.
To see a professional massage therapist:
– Look for a therapist who has experience treating Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
– Schedule a 30 to 60 minute session.
Best oils to do massage for carpal tunnel treatment
There are a few different oils that can be used for massage to help relieve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Some of the best include:
– Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help reduce swelling.
– Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil has a cooling effect and can help relieve pain.
– Lavender oil: Lavender oil is a relaxant and can help reduce stress.
– Rosemary oil: Rosemary oil can help improve circulation.
To use essential oils for massage:
– Add a few drops of oil to a carrier oil, such as jojoba or almond oil.
– Massage the oil into the hands and wrists.
– Wrap the hands in a warm towel and let the oil soak in for 10 minutes.
– Wash the hands with soap and water.
Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel Treatment
There are a few different home remedies that can help relieve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Some of the best include:
– Ice: Applying ice to the affected area can help reduce inflammation and pain.
– Heat: Applying heat to the affected area can help increase circulation and relieve pain.
– Apple cider vinegar: Soaking the hands in a solution of apple cider vinegar and water can help reduce inflammation.
– Turmeric: Taking turmeric supplements, adding turmeric to your food or applying turmeric paste externally can help reduce inflammation.
– Ginger: Sipping on ginger tea can help reduce pain.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by the compression of the median nerve as it passes through the wrist. This can be due to a variety of factors, including repetitive motions, obesity, and arthritis. If you are struggling from CTS, it is better to take a natural approach to resolve the pain and discomfort. This will help you to prevent recurrence of Carpal tunnel syndrome in future.
Ayurvedic medicine is a safe and effective way to treat carpal tunnel without steroids and surgery. If you are interested in trying Ayurveda for your condition, it is important to consult with an experienced practitioner who can tailor a treatment plan specifically for you.
Consult with Medhya’s Ayurvedic Health Experts to get your personalised health plan involving prescription for Ayurvedic medicine, diet, yoga and lifestyle guidelines.
Can Ayurveda cure carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that results from compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel, a narrow passageway in the wrist. Symptoms include pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand and fingers. Although carpal tunnel syndrome is often caused by repetitive motions of the wrists and hands, it can also be caused by other factors such as diabetes, pregnancy, and arthritis. Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine that originated in India. It is based on the principle of balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Ayurvedic treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome focuses on restoring balance within the body. Herbal preparations, massages, and yoga are often used to treat the condition. Several studies have shown that Ayurvedic treatment can effectively help in relieving symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
What deficiency causes carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is often caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B6. This vitamin is essential for the formation of myelin, which is a fatty substance that covers and protects nerves. Myelin helps to conduct electrical impulses between nerve cells. A deficiency of Vitamin B6 can lead to demyelination of nerves, which can cause pain, tingling, numbness, and other symptoms. Vitamin B6 is found in many foods, including meat, poultry, fish, legumes, nuts, and seeds. It is also available in supplement form. If you think you may have a Vitamin B6 deficiency, talk to your doctor about getting tested. Taking a supplement may help to relieve your symptoms and prevent further nerve damage.
What vitamin helps carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel is a condition that can cause pain and numbness in the hand and wrist. It occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm to the hand, becomes compressed. While carpal tunnel can be caused by a variety of factors, such as repetitive motion or arthritis, vitamin B6 deficiency is one of the most common causes. Vitamin B6 is essential for proper nerve function, and a deficiency can lead to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome. Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include tingling, numbness, and weakness in the hand and wrist. If you are experience these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor. Carpal tunnel syndrome can often be treated with vitamin B6 supplements. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to relieve pressure on the median nerve.
What herbs heal carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel is a condition that results from the compression of the median nerve. This nerve runs from the forearm into the hand, and controls sensation and muscle movement in the thumb and first three fingers. Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause pain, numbness, and tingling in the affected hand. There are a number of different methods that can be used to treat carpal tunnel syndrome, including yoga, acupuncture, and massage. However, herbs are also very effective at treating this condition. Many different herbs have been shown to be helpful for carpal tunnel syndrome, including calendula, chamomile, comfrey, and St. John’s wort. These herbs can be taken internally in the form of teas or tinctures, or applied externally as compresses or poultices. When used correctly, herbs can be a safe and effective way to treat carpal tunnel syndrome.