If you’ve ever been frustrated by falling out hair, flaking scalp, having to sweep the ground every time you brush your hair, or woken up to a messy pillow with these dry, flaky things that greet you early in the morning, then you very likely know what dandruff is.
Usually, dandruff is caused by very many factors, and there might be as many causes as there are cases of dandruff, but some general causes of dandruff can be linked to excessive exposure to the sun(really, if you are to give your skin, and hair for that matter, a chance at being healthy, you want to avoid unnecessary exposure to the sun), overuse of hot water to wash the hair, use of irritating hair products, general dryness of the skin, and many more. The causes vary widely.
Dandruff And Ayurveda.
Darunak(dandruff), is a very complex condition, owing to the fact that its causes are numerous. Hence, it’s treatment, which has to be tailored to the cause, is also widely variable. Fortunately, darunak is classified as part of the Kshudra rogas(i.e. easy to cure).
When this dosha is excited, the excessive energy leads to production of ama(impurities). The ama accumulates in deep tissues of the scalp, where they unleash a drying and heating effect. The ama contaminate the scalp, causing itching and appearance of patches on the scalp.
As a result of this, the scalp, which is supposed to shed off dead epidermal cells monthly, now begins to shed dead cells weekly or even every two days if the case is very severe. This leads to excessive dust-like flaking that is usually seen in cases of dandruff.
In addition to this, people who have high vata dosha composition tend to have drier skin, and an aggravated vata dosha also draws water from the skin.
Symptoms Of Dandruff.
How do I know it is dandruff I have? Sometimes, after you have gone out on a dusty day or to a dusty environment, you can come back and brush, or even run your hand through your hair, and find that some dusty particles are coming out of your hair. You might not need to panic in that case, because it might be just dust that has settled in your hair, and in which case you need to wash it off as soon as you can.
However, if it is a case of dandruff, beyond the dust, you will observe:
- Visible white flakes on your scalp that could look really ugly.
- Extreme dryness on your scalp. This goes on to say that people who have dry skin might be more susceptible to dandruff, because the general dryness on their skin could extend to the scalp.
- Hair loss.
- Numbness of the scalp, i.e., there is decreased feeling in the scalp. This is because, the vata, which is responsible for this in the first place, also controls the nervous system.
- Softness of the scalp.
- Extreme itching(but don’t scratch it, please do not).
- In extreme cases of dandruff, scales and flaking might extend to the neck, chest and back.
- In rare cases, inflammation of eyes is observed.
So, now you can better tell if you or someone around you has a dandruff problem.
How To Eradicate Dandruff.
There are many remedies for dandruff that are proposed out there.
What doesn’t work is lathering your hair with lots of oils to keep the dandruff down. You might be able to get away with the raining dust of your own dead skin cells because the oil makes them too heavy to be carried off by the air, but once you run out of oil, or the oil dries off, or you wash it off on getting home, the flakes are still there. They will laugh at you from the sink when you wash your hair, promising you they will return the next day.
Here at Medhya Herbals, our business it to bring you complete, holistic cure for your body, soul and spirit using Ayurveda. In line with this mission, here are some Ayurvedic remedies for dandruff that we recommend, and they are remedies for dandruff that you can try yourself, including simple lifestyle and diet changes that will yield results.
Ayurvedic Homemade Dandruff Treatments.
- You can easily make this at home if you have:
- 1 ounce apricot kernel oil;
- 1 ounce calendula liquid extract;
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil;
- 10 drops orange essential oil;
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil; and
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil.
Now you’re wondering, “What am I to do with all these?” Mehdya Herbals has you covered.
- Fill a glass bottle with the apricot kernel oil.
- Then, add the calendula, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Close the lid, shake the bottle rigorously, and transfer to a spray bottle.
- When you’re ready to use, spray it onto your scalp and gently massage it in.
Others you could try:
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of amla and gently massage into your scalp. Do this daily.
- Add 10 drops of lema juice to 1 egg white and beat well. Apply this to your scalp weekly.
Lifestyle Changes For a Smiley Scalp.
- Eat healthy.
- Don’t use too much hot water on your hair. The heat could cause dehydration.
- Don not stay under the sun for too long.
- Practice yoga, and exercise generally.
- Avoid scratching the scalp.
- Wash hair properly for hygiene and massage hair and head with oil every time you wash to keep the moisture in.
Diet Changes To Eradicate the Flakes.
- Eat vata pacifying diet.
- Avoid vata aggravating food like dry fruits, nuts, dry foods like bread, etc.
- Do not take excess sugar, salt, dairy products, meat and acidic food.
- Stay away from spicy, fatty, hot, junk foods, and aerated drinks.
Remember, your body is a microcosm of the universe, and like the universe, it was made to self-regulate, to take care of itself.
You have more questions? Comment below, and our in-house experts in Ayurveda will respond to you promptly.