Adaptogens are one of the most unique naturally occurring medicinal compounds in the world. Adaptogenic herbs are termed so as they activate our energy systems and enable us to adapt and sustain high levels of physical and mental distress.
Adaptogens are a group of herbal ingredients which improve the functioning of the adrenal system. The adrenal gland is in charge of managing the hormonal response to stress. These compounds strengthen this response and help the body cope with anxiety and fatigue.
How do Adaptogens Work?
- Adaptogens alter a variety of stress-induced hormonal pathways. They help produce more proteins that fight stress-induced physiological reactions. A good track record of these compounds is that they are said to increase longevity.
- They even help in calming the energy levels down at the same time boosting them without stimulating. They normalize the body’s imbalances. By supporting adrenal function, they counteract the adverse effects of stress.
- They enable the body’s cells to access more energy. They help cells eliminate toxic byproducts of the metabolic processes and help the body to utilize oxygen more efficiently.
Health Benefits of Adaptogens
- Possesses anti-aging properties
- Increases metabolism
- Helps to build vital organ strength
- Improve energy levels and emotional stability
- Known to increase the life span
- Nourishes the nerves and support mental acumen
- Improve endocrine function
- Have no negative long term side effects
- Increased metabolism
- Enhanced immunity
- Better sleep
Which Adaptogens should you use?
Ashwagandha has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine. It increases vitality, energy, endurance, and stamina, promotes longevity, and strengthens the immune system.
It also reduces blood pressure, insomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and impotence associated with anxiety or exhaustion. It enhances endocrine function, especially the thyroid and adrenals.
Licorice tones the spleen. Rich in both saponins and flavonoids, it is anti-inflammatory because the saponins have a structure similar to that of corticosteroids.
Licorice root also promotes or enhances immune system functioning and has a stimulating effect on the adrenal cortex. It also inhibits the breakdown of cortisol hormone by the liver, thereby naturally increasing corticosteroid levels in the body.
Rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, Amla prevents memory loss and promotes youthfulness. It restores appetite, relieves nausea and liver dysfunction. Bioactive compounds present in it support healthy blood sugar levels, adrenal health, and enhance immunity. Amla also aids in liver detoxification and helps to lower cholesterol levels.
Holy Basil or Tulsi as is commonly known in India, contributes significantly to areas of stress response and anxiety. The adaptogenic compounds prevent an increase in corticosterone levels attributed to stress. It acts as a natural antidepressant. Holy Basil lowers blood sugar levels and improves antibody production.
Asian Ginseng Root
One of the most stimulating adaptogens, Ginseng root is traditionally used in Chinese medicine for impotence, fatigue, BPH, low back pain.
Reduce your stress levels with Adaptogens!!
Adaptogens greatly improve your body’s ability to adapt to stress. This elite class of herbs imparts strength, energy, stamina, endurance, and they improve mental clarity. Adaptogens form an integral part of Medhya bites as they nourish and protect. Include Adaptogens in your diet regularly and feel the difference right away!!