Endometrial Hyperplasia is a condition which results in the abnormal thickening of the Endometrium, which is the innermost lining of the uterus. This often leads to Bulky Uterus and can lead to symptoms of pelvic pain, heavy periods, and trouble getting pregnant.
Endometrial Hyperplasia can be caused by a number of factors like hormonal imbalance, obesity, genetic disposition, etc. Ayurveda offers effective natural treatment to permanently cure Endometrial hyperplasia.
Ayurvedic treatment for uterine thickness involves Ayurvedic medicines, herbal remedies, dietary changes, lifestyle adjustments, and yoga to detox, reduce weight and restore hormone balance.
In this article, we will discuss Ayurvedic natural treatment to reverse thickening of uterine lining due to endometrial hyperplasia.
What is Endometrial Hyperplasia?
Endometrial hyperplasia occurs when there is an overgrowth of endometrial tissues, or uterine lining becomes abnormally thick. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including high levels of estrogen and obesity.
Endometrial growths are not typically cancerous. They are simply extra tissue that has grown outside of its normal position. These endometrial tissue, like the uterine lining grow and bleed each month under the influence of the hormones of the female reproductive system. Since, there is no way out for the extra growth on endometrium, often internal bleeding, inflammation, and scarring results when it dissolves.
Endometrial hyperplasia is a common problem among women of reproductive age and is characterized by irregular uterine bleeding, heavy menstrual bleeding or excess blood loss due to prolonged menstrual bleeding.
Health Complications of Endometrial Thickness
The most serious complication of this endometrial overgrowth, inflammation and scarring is infertility. About 30 to 40% of women with uterine line thickening have problems getting pregnant.
Other possible health risks include endometrial growths breaking open and the endometrial cells spreading to other areas.
Additionally, inflammation in the body (in absence of timely treatment) may prompt cancerous growth of endometrial cells.
There are several treatment options available for endometrial hyperplasia, including surgery and medication. However, all of these approaches are invasive with multiple side effects.
Endometrial hyperplasia is often asymptomatic, but some women may experience pelvic pain, heavy periods, thick vaginal discharge or difficulty getting pregnant.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Prolonged menstruation
- Repeated miscarriages, sub fertility and infertility
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- Passage of blood clots during menstruation
- Short menstrual cycle
- Spotting in-between menstrual period
- Pain in the back and lower abdomen
- Weight gain, obesity and inability to lose weight
- Weakness, fatigue and shortness of breath
- Mood swings, depression, anxiety and irritability
- Painful swollen breasts
- Irregular digestion, gas, bloating
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Pelvic pain or cramping
Ayurvedic View of Endometrial Hyperplasia
In Ayurveda, endometrial hyperplasia can be related to yonivyapada, meaning disorders of the reproductive system. In addition, when heavy menstrual bleeding is involved; it can be compared to asrigdara.
Vata dosha plays a primary role in conditions of yoni, female reproductive system. Any disturbance in apana vata (sub dosha of vata dosha), can lead to irregular flow and excess growth of the endometrium
Additionally, pitta dosha imbalance can lead to an increased blood supply and flow through uterine and ovarian vessels. Pitta imbalance also causes the blood acidity to increase, leading to inflammation in the body.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometrial Hyperplasia
Ayurveda offers effective natural treatment to permanently cure Endometrial hyperplasia. Ayurvedic treatment for uterine thickness involves Ayurvedic medicines, herbal remedies, dietary changes, lifestyle adjustments, and yoga to detox, reduce weight and restore hormone balance.
Here’s how Ayurvedic treatment for Endometrial hyperplasia works:
- Detox to get rid of excess estrogen, reduce thickness of the endometrium and reduce blood acidity
- Balance apana vata dosha to avoid excessive blood entry to uterine vessels
- Restore hormone balance and regular ovulation in the menstrual cycle
- Arrest abnormal uterine bleeding, clotting and loss of blood with astringent Ayurvedic medicine and cooling formulations.
- Promote circulation in the uterus and pelvic area through yoga, pelvic massage and Ayurvedic herbs
- Support (Artava Dhatu) female reproductive system and promote fertility
- Balanced Nutrition to gain strength and boost immunity
Ayurvedic Medicines & Herbal Remedies to Reduce Thickness of Uterine lining
There are a number of Ayurvedic medicines and herbal remedies that can help to balance hormones, flush excess estrogen, restrict excessive bleeding and prevent overgrowth of endometrial tissue. These include:
– Ashoka (Saraca indica): This herb is effective in reducing heavy bleeding and inflammation. It is also helpful in restoring hormone balance and regular ovulation.
– Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia): This herb is helpful in detoxifying the body, reducing inflammation, and promoting circulation in the pelvic area.
– Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus): This herb is nourishing and supportive to the female reproductive system. It helps to promote fertility and boost immunity.
– Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia): This herb is helpful in reducing inflammation and promoting circulation. It is also supportive to the female reproductive system.
– Neem (Azadirachta indica): This herb is helpful in detoxifying the body and reducing inflammation. It is also supportive to the immune system.
– Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): This herb is helpful in promoting digestion and detoxification. It is also supportive to the immune system.
– Amalaki (Emblica officinalis): This herb is helpful to pacify Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha. It is highly effective for digestion, detoxification and reducing inflammation in the body.
Ayurvedic Diet & Lifestyle guidelines to prevent Endometrial Hyperplasia
Here are Ayurvedic diet & lifestyle guidelines that can help to prevent endometrial hyperplasia and keep the uterus healthy:
– Eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and protein-rich foods
– Avoiding processed foods, sugary foods, alcohol and caffeine. This will also help to reduce inflammation and imbalance of dosha
– Getting regular exercise to reduce excess estrogen in your body
– Reducing stress through yoga, meditation, or other relaxation techniques
– Practicing regular pelvic floor exercises to promote circulation and prevent blockade in the uterus
– Wearing loose fitting clothing and avoiding constrictive clothing such as tight belts or jeans to allow better circulation in the pelvic area
Endometrial hyperplasia can lead to lot of physical pain and mental stress. However, the condition is curable when treated in time. Any delay in treatment of chronically thickened uterus can lead to endometrial cancer of the uterus.
Ayurveda provides effective and safe treatment options for Endometrial hyperplasia, which can help to promote fertility, naturally balance hormones and restrict the overgrowth of endometrial lining.
Medhya Herbals offers Ayurvedic treatment involving 1:1 doctor consultations, diet and lifestyle plans and yoga therapy to treat menstrual disorders. Begin your treatment today to find relief from period problems.
1. Can Ayurveda cure endometrial thickness?
Ayurvedic treatment for Endometrial hyperplasia depends on the underlying cause of the endometrial thickness. Ayurveda views the body and mind as interconnected, and strives to treat not just the physical symptoms but also the root cause of imbalances.
For hyperplasia without atypia, Ayurveda can effectively treat the health and hormonal imbalances to reversed thickening of the uterus.
However, if the endometrial thickness is atypical (cancerous) or involves other medical condition, then Ayurveda may help to ease symptoms but will not be able to cure the condition itself.
In either case, it is important to work with an experienced and certified Ayurvedic doctor to develop a personalized treatment plan.
2. Can endometriosis be treated with Ayurvedic medicine?
Endometriosis can be treated with Ayurvedic medicine. There are a number of different treatment options available, and the best one for you will depend on the severity of your condition and your symptoms.
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to medicine that looks at the whole person, rather than just treating the symptoms. This means that an Ayurvedic practitioner will look at your unique situation and tailor a treatment plan specifically for you.
Ayurvedic herbs and compounds are helpful to treat endometriosis. One of the most common is turmeric, which has anti-inflammatory properties. Other herbs that may be recommended include ashwagandha, guduchi, bhui amla, triphala and aloe vera.
3. What are the types of Endometrial Hyperplasia?
- Hyperplasia without atypia. This type of womb lining is thicker due to overgrowth of endometrial cells. However, the cells are normal and very unlikely to become cancerous. It can be easily reversed by treating the root cause of overgrowth of cells.
- Atypical hyperplasia. This type is not normal. It is more likely to become cancerous (leading to endometrial carcinoma) over time if it is not treated. It is mostly reported in women of 60 – 64 years of age.
4. What Causes Endometrial Hyperplasia?
Endometrial hyperplasia is caused by an overabundance of oestrogen or a lack of progesterone. Oestrogen and progesterone are two hormones produced by the ovaries that regulate uterine lining growth and shedding.
Oestrogen promotes uterine lining development, whereas progesterone keeps it in check. In cases of irregular periods and anovulation, sufficient progesterone is not produced in the body.
Excessive production of estrogen without progesterone can cause overgrowth of the uterine lining in the long term. This leads to endometrial hyperplasia.
Irregular or absent ovulation is common in years before menopause. That’s why women in perimenopause are more susceptible to hyperplasia of endometrium.
5. Who is at risk of developing excess endometrial thickness and bulky uterus?
Certain health conditions and diet, lifestyle factors also increase your risk of thickening of the uterine lining:
- Excess belly fat and obesity
- Late menopause
- PCOS, Endometriosis, Diabetes, Thyroid Disorders
- Presence of ovarian cyst, uterine fibroids, uterine polyps
- Hormone therapy, birth control pills and certain medications
- Exposure to endocrine disturbing chemicals
- Diet rich in processed foods, high sugars and low fibre
- No pregnancy before
- Family history of uterine, ovarian, or colon cancer