Ayurvedic treatment for endometriosis involves a holistic approach to establish hormone balance, support fertility, and measures to relieve severe pain.
Ayurveda helps to improve the overall health of the patient. It also treats the root cause of her specific Endometriosis symptoms.
Endometriosis is a complex and painful disease that affects nearly 10% (across the world) of the women and girls in their reproductive years.
To relieve extreme pain and intensity of endometriosis symptoms, the patient usually resorts to surgery, NSAIDS and hormone therapy.
However, these treatment options for Endometriosis have several side effects. Often, the endometrial implants reappear only few months after the treatment. It seems the pain and misery has no end for endometriosis patient.
But, Ayurveda offers the safest and holistic approach to manage and treat complex health conditions such as Endometriosis. And in this post, we will get into the details of Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis.
You will learn about the causes, symptoms and signs of Endometriosis. And also, how Ayurveda can help you to find relief from Endometriosis symptoms. Let’s get started!
What You'll Learn | Click on Topic to Go There
What is Endometriosis?
In Endometriosis, endometrial tissue is found outside the uterine cavity. It grows anywhere in the abdominal cavity.
Some of the common locations of endometrial tissue growth are: the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surface of the uterus, the bladder and the lining of the pelvic cavity.
Now, like the endometrium lining of the uterus, endometrial growths respond to the reproductive system hormones. They grow & bleed every month like the endometrium lining in the uterus.
Unlike the uterine lining that sheds via monthly menstrual flow, the endometrial growths outside uterus has no way of leaving the body.
It is kind of trapped inside the body. This leads to internal bleeding, inflammation and scarring. That’s why women often struggle with so much pain in Endometriosis symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Endometriosis
Endometriosis should be considered in any woman (of reproductive age), who experiences severe pelvic pain that lasts for more than 6 months.
The pain experienced in endometriosis is so bad that the patient is not able to carry out her normal life.
This chronic pelvic pain is usually non cyclical in nature, meaning it keeps on changing in intensity and duration.
Also, the pain experienced in endometriosis is not limited to menstruation. It can happen at anytime during the menstrual cycle.
Apart from the pain, here are the symptoms that one experiences in Endometriosis:
- Severe period cramps. The diagnosis of endometriosis should be considered especially, if a patient develops period pain after years of pain-free menstrual cycles
- Excessive pain or cramping is experienced during sexual intercourse
- Lower back pain that worsens during menstruation
- Pain in the rectum and painful bowel movement may occur depending on the location of the endometrial implants
- Repeated miscarriages, infertility and inability to conceive
- Pain during urination, passage of red urine (during menstruation)
- Short Menstrual Cycle (less than 21 days) leading to Early or Frequent periods
- Heavy Periods or Menorrhagia
- Clotted blood flow during menstruation
- Spotting or Bleeding in between periods
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor Mental Health leading to Emotional Distress, Anxiety, Depression, and Mood Swings
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation that worsens during menstruation
Now, let’s see how Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis can help you!
Endometriosis in Ayurveda
One common factor that is usually present in Endometriosis is “Ama” or toxin buildup in the body. This creates a fertile ground for dosha imbalance and poor metabolism.
And together, they lead to nutritional deficiencies and hormone imbalance, which further aggravate the symptoms of Endometriosis. Hence, toxin buildup is the primary trigger for health condition as Endometriosis.
In Ayurveda, early stage endometriosis can be correlated to Vata dosha Imbalance of the reproductive system.
It is termed as Vataja Yonivyapad. Now, let’s see what is happening here.
- Apana Vayu, a sub dosha of Vata dosha is responsible for downward flow of menstrual flow. It also creates proper movement of hormones and circulation of egg and fluids through the reproductive system.
- When Apana vayu is disturbed or blocked due to toxin buildup, it leads to irregular and backward flow of Apana vayu “Udavarta”.
- Udavarta leads to retrograde menstrual flow. Hence, this leads to development of conditions for endometrial implants.
- Pain is another characteristic of vata imbalance. When vata is disturbed, it leads to blockade, severe pain and cramps.
- Also, functioning of hormones and normal flow of egg (ovulation) is affected due to irregular flow of apana vayu.
- This affects hormone balance and ovulation, leading to irregular periods and irregular menstrual flow.
Now, Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha may also be present in the later stages. This leads to heat, inflammation and excess growth or progression of endometriosis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
Endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda starts with detailed diagnosis of the health symptoms. This helps to identify the stage of progression of endometriosis and involved dosha.
Ayurvedic treatment involves physical therapies, herbal formulations, and mental wellness techniques to improve fertility and relieve pain. Also, one should observe discipline in diet and lifestyle for overall health.
One of the best points about Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis is that there are no side effects. What you experience with Ayurveda is a complete rejuvenation of body and mind.
Once you become familiar with Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle, you can also support your overall health and that of your family members (if they are dependent on you).
The objectives of Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
Here are the primary objectives of Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis:
- To restore hormone balance with Ayurvedic herbs, diet and lifestyle.
- Detoxification of the body. It will help to get rid of the wasteful substances that trigger imbalances in the body.
- Strengthen the reproductive system to maintain the health of Shukra Dhatu. This helps to regulate the menstrual cycle and boost fertility.
- Pacify and balance the vitiated doshas. This will help to remove the root cause of Endometriosis symptoms.
- Promote mental wellness. This helps to reduce stress and improves emotional balance
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis | Therapies and Natural Remedies
Here’s the line of treatment that is adopted in Ayurveda for Endometriosis. The natural remedies that we will cover for Endometriosis treatment are based on the following steps:
- Ayurvedic Herbs
- Endometriosis Diet
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Exercise and Yoga
Ayurvedic Herbs for Endometriosis | Boost Fertility and Pain Relief
1. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has a toning effect on reproductive system. It is an emmanagogue, meaning it helps to establish regular menstrual flow. Also, aloe vera supports detoxification. It significantly reduces inflammation and pain in the body.
Regular consumption of aloe vera will help you to reduce the pain, support ovulation, establish regular periods and stop the growth of Endometrial tissues.
Regular use of Shatavari prevents miscarriages. Thus, it is helpful in cases of sub-fertility and infertility.
It helps in balancing the pH level of the vagina which improves the chances of pregnancy by providing a fertile environment for sperm.
Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogen and a revered Ayurvedic elixir for rejuvenation, nourishment, and strength. It is a natural supplement to lower cortisol and balance thyroid hormones. Ashwagandha literally translates to the “strength of the stallion”.
An aphrodisiac, it enhances vitality and fertility in women by supporting and strengthening the uterus.
Lodhra is highly effective in reducing uterine disorders. It helps to regulate ovarian hormones, establishes regular ovulation and improves fertility.
It is a rich source of compounds called flavanol glycosides, which reduce inflammation and establish hormone balance.
Triphala is a powerful Ayurvedic Rasayana (Herbal elixir known to promote longevity and rejuvenation).
It deeply cleanses our body and helps to flush out wastes and toxins. Triphala has powerful antioxidants to rejuvenate, inhibit inflammation, promote healthy build of body cells, and blood purification.
Amla is useful for its detoxifying qualities. It also works well to reduce cholesterol levels.
That is not all. It is an anti-inflammatory agent, so it removes free radicals and helps restore hormonal balance in the body.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to balance both Vata dosha and kapha dosha. Regular consumption of turmeric prevents endometrial tissue growth.
However, caution should be taken if you are suffering from excessive bleeding. Turmeric may make it worse.
8. Kachnar Guggulu
It is a resin that supports hormone balance, detoxification and digestive fire. It basically supports all three root causes of Endometriosis.
Regular consumption of Kachnar guggulu may help to establish regular and pain free periods, better metabolism for proper nourishment and improved fertility.
9. Licorice or Yashtimadhu
Licorice is a sweet tasting root that helps to balance hormones. Specifically, it helps to reduce high Estrogen and high Androgen level. This reduces the growth and spread of endometrial implants.
It also relieves pelvic pain as experienced in Endometriosis. Licorice is effective against inflammatory disorders and helps to establish the integrity of the digestive tract. This reduces bloating and constipation symptoms as well.
Ashoka bark is a uterine tonic and hormone balancing herb for women. Regular consumption of Ashoka bark helps to reduce the intensity of Endometriosis symptoms and halts progress of Endometriosis.
It also reduces pain and fertility related health symptoms of the condition.
All the herbs and formulations that have been shared in this post are for information purpose only. All of these are potent Ayurvedic medicines that should be taken under the supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Do not indiscriminately use Ayurvedic herbs. It may cause more harm than benefit.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis starts with Eating Right | Your Diet
Poor diet and dietary habits create nutritional deficiencies and toxin buildup in the body. These are the 2 primary causes of Endometriosis, Hence, when you improve your diet, you also improve your chances of finding relief from Endometriosis symptoms.
Foods that you should eat | Best Foods
- Prefer smaller meals during the day and do not hold hunger. Always take timely meals at fixed time everyday.
- Eat freshly prepared healthy meals at the right times.
- Take a lot of fruits and vegetables, and a lot of high-fiber foods too.
- Favor ghee, nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, buttermilk, avocado, beets, lentils.
- Take warm and unctuous foods such as porridge, curries, gruel, and soups.
- Include spices and herbs to maintain healthy digestive fire and to get the micro nutrients.
Foods that you should avoid | Worst Foods
- Reduce your consumption of red meat and deep-fried foods.
- Reduce your intake of dairy, except curd or buttermilk.
- Avoid sugar as much as you can. You can go for honey as an alternative sweetener.
- Reduce and remove caffeine, alcohol and any other stimulants from your meals and daily routine.
- Remove chili and peppers from your diet. Both of these cause excessive stimulation and push Vata out of balance.
- Remove cold temperature foods and drinks.
- Limit or stop raw foods such as salads.
Ayurvedic Therapies for Endometriosis
Apart from Ayurvedic medicine, diet and lifestyle changes, Endometriosis patient may also benefit from Ayurvedic therapies. These Ayurvedic treatment options are employed on case by case basis.
Your doctor may recommend any of the following Ayurvedic therapies based on your specific Endometriosis symptoms:
Panchakarma means five works of deep purification that boost fertility, immunity and ojas “vitality”. It involves cleansing and healing of the body as a whole.
All the five procedures are employed in a sequence. This helps to systematically release and flush the toxins out. It establishes the digestive fire and strengthens the weakened body systems.
Panchakarma should be done under the supervision of an Ayurvedic Doctor . This will help you to get maximum benefits. It will also help to prevent any damage (due to lack of knowledge).
Therapies given below are part of the Panchakarma. They can be employed stand alone or in the sequence as charted out by your Doctor.
2. Uttar Basti (Herbal Enema)
Basti refers to enema and uttar basti refers to enema of the uterus. Herbal oils and concoctions are used to perform uttar basti.
It helps to regulate the apana vata (responsible for working of reproductive system) and facilitates regular ovulation.
Uttar Basti helps to strengthen the uterus and boosts fertility by supporting successful implantation of the fertilized egg.
3. Virechana (Cleansing)
It refers to the cleansing procedures that support the health of the liver and help to flush out toxins. Virechana is primarily targeted to balance the Pitta Dosha.
It helps to establish regular bowel movement and promotes digestive fire for better metabolism.
4. Vamana (Vomiting)
Vamana helps to remove excess Kapha from the upper digestive tract through induced vomiting. Herbal concoctions and medicated oils are used to systematically release the toxins that can be flushed out via Vamana.
It is really helpful in establishing hormone balance and removing the blockade in body channels. Thus, Vamana helps to bring good flow of hormones and induces regular ovulation.
5. Nasya (Oil in Nostrils)
It promotes regular flow of hormones by establishing Vata dosha balance.
Nasya involves regular insertion of medicated oil or ghee in both nostrils. It promotes flow of prana (vital life force), supports vitality and longevity.
Other than these Ayurvedic therapies, regular “Abhyanga” or body massage with medicated oils is recommended. Another procedure is “Swedna” or induced sweating via heat treatment or physical activity.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle Tips for Endometriosis
Ayurvedic lifestyle tips provide guidance daily routine that helps to establish hormone balance mental wellness. Here’s what you should do:
- Manage and reduce stress levels by either avoiding stressful activities or by better planning. Stress is one sure way to get your hormones out of whack.
- Practice regular meditation and breathing exercises (pranayama) that will help you to relax and reduce your stress levels.
- Reduce your exposure to endocrine disrupting materials such as BPA and Dioxins. They trigger Estrogen dominance and make you more prone to Endometriosis symptoms.
- Restrict your use of hormone-based contraceptives. If you can, avoid them completely.
- You don’t smoke or drink, do you? If you do, then you are probably not ready to get free from Endometriosis. Please, do stop it if you do.
- Don’t eat junk food. Eat healthily and avoid getting hungry so that you can better resist the temptation to eat junk food.
- Keep a regular, again, regular, sleep pattern in the night. Learn here on Ayurvedic guidelines for good sleep.
- Try not to sleep in the day so you don’t break your sleep cycles.
- Regular exercise to promote strength and balance.
- Avoid excessive exercise and stressful physical activity.
- Rest and restoration is highly important for Endometriosis patient as it is primarily a Vata imbalance disorder. So, always maintain balance and don’t go over the board.
Check out Hormone Balance with Ayurveda, a holistic health programme. Receive personalized Ayurvedic treatment and step-by step guidance on diet and lifestyle to balance your hormones and find relief from period problems.
Before You Go!
You need to understand that Ayurveda is not a quick fix or the next magic solution. Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis takes an approach, which may seem slow in the beginning.
Yet, Ayurvedic treatment really pulls out the root cause of your Endometriosis symptoms and establishes your reproductive system health in the long term.
You can be sure that Ayurvedic treatment for Endometriosis is the last and only treatment that you would need to finally find freedom from Endometriosis.
Additionally, you have to be committed to your health goals and willing to get healed. When you take care of your body and help it to heal, you will find that Endometriosis Ayurvedic treatment is your natural support system.
Ayurvedic treatment is not based on testing your willpower but it nurtures you to develop “self love” and switch on your body’s natural healing mechanism with the right diet and lifestyle.
Also, do note that Endometriosis is a progressive and painful disease. But, it can prevent it by pursuing a Healthy Diet and Lifestyle. Act Early to Prevent Health Issues Later!
Now we want to hear from you. Do write to us for any queries and feedback. If you have tried any of the above Endometriosis Ayurvedic treatment approaches, then do share your experience with us. We will get back to you the soonest.
Wishing you vibrant health!